Page not found by Firefox

JohnH
3StarLounger

Page not found by Firefox

Post by JohnH »

When I try to look at the website of my local council : Macedon Ranges in Firefox I consistently get error 404 "this page cannot be found". I thought it was odd that the site was down for so long.

But if I open it in IE or Chrome it works OK. On another computer with the same version of Firefox the site opens OK.

I am mystified. I have cleared the Cache. What else can I try?
Regards

John

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Page not found by Firefox

Post by StuartR »

It works fine for me using Firefox 3.6.15

What Firefox addins do you have?
Have you tested to see if it works if you start Firefox in safe mode?
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

It doesn't load for me either in Firefox, but it does in IE. Perhaps their is a FF setting that blocks it?!

I can open it with FireFox in safe mode: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

Edited: You just beat me StuartR
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Thanks to both of you.
It does not open for me in Safe Mode. :scratch:

I don't make much use of Extensions. I have:
* Various Java Consoles
Last edited by JohnH on 16 Mar 2011, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No problem in Firefox 3.6.15 here (NoScript is the only add-in).
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK for me too and I'm using olde worlde FF 3.6.13 with Adblock Plus.

Disable your add-ins one at a time to find out which one(s) cause the problem.

Ken
edited to add: If you have multiple java consoles, try unistalling all but the most recent. Recent Java upgrades have been slightly better at clearing up old installations but it's worth using the Control Panel Add/Remove applet (or something like Revo Uninstaller) to remove all but the most recent version of Java from your PC

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Disable your add-ins one at a time to find out which one(s) cause the problem.
Sorry but I am not clear aboput this. I have tried in Safe Mode, and the page does not load. Safe Mode disables all Add ins.
Doesn't that mean that the Add-Ins are not the problem?
it's worth using the Control Panel Add/Remove applet to remove all but the most recent version of Java from your PC
There are no Java Consoles listed in Control Panel..Uninstall a Program.

What should I see if I choose Java Console from the Firefox Menus? Nothing happens at all for me.
Regards

John

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My mistake, I misread your post where you said it didn't work in safe mode. If it doesn't work in safe mode then there is no point disabling your add-ons one by one.

You said you'd tried clearing the cache without any luck, how about a simple forced page refresh, i.e. holding down the shift key while clicking on reload?

As for Java in the Control Panel, it won't be listed there as a Java console, just Java(TM) 6 Update n, where n could be just about anything up to the latest version (which is at least 23, maybe 24). You can safely uninstall anything less than the highest version you have listed. However, that's all probably by the by and nothing to do with your FF problem with this page.

Ken

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Thanks again
You said you'd tried clearing the cache without any luck, how about a simple forced page refresh, i.e. holding down the shift key while clicking on reload?
The url actually changes to http://www.mrsc.vic.gov.au/warning.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so a refresh will just display the same error again. I don't know whether this page has really come from that URL...there is nothing in the content to suggest that it has.
mrsc.gif
As for Java in the Control Panel, it won't be listed there as a Java console, just Java(TM) 6 Update n, where n could be just about anything up to the latest version (which is at least 23, maybe 24). You can safely uninstall anything less than the highest version you have listed.
There is ony the latest version of Java mentioned in Uninstall.
java.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

John

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:shrug: sorry, I'm out of ideas then. Here on my home PC I have FF 3.6.15 and I can follow the link you gave in your OP no problems.

Ken

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

A few questions:

(1) Can you access a page with the full address (i.e., not ending with /) such as:

http://www.mrsc.vic.gov.au/Page/page.as ... d=1649&h=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2) Does it work if you click through a Google result?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amrsc.vic.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Just a guess, but there may be a modified preference, especially if there is one related to networks, that may be causing this.

In the Help menu select "Troubleshooting Information", this will give a list of modified preferences. There is an option to copy this list to the clipboard, but as it will likely be too long to post here you could paste it into a text file. The "Application basics" and "Extensions" sections will not be needed, you can also remove any printer related preferences.

One other thing, you mentioned you cleared the cache, but have you also tried deleting cookies for the site, they can also cause issues - https://support.mozilla.com/kb/Deleting+cookies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

jscher2000 wrote:A few questions:
(1) Can you access a page with the full address (i.e., not ending with /) such as:
http://www.mrsc.vic.gov.au/Page/page.as ... d=1649&h=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No..still not found
(2) Does it work if you click through a Google result?
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amrsc.vic.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Google search brings up a long list, and none of them work except ones that point to a pdf.
http://www.google.com/search?q=filetype ... mages&tbs=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

TonyE wrote: One other thing, you mentioned you cleared the cache, but have you also tried deleting cookies for the site, they can also cause issues - https://support.mozilla.com/kb/Deleting+cookies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That fixed it! :clapping: Thank youi
Regards

John