Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.240.7

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.240.7

Post by Hey Jude »

A friend had an issue with this plug-in on FF on his wife's laptop. She was watching streaming video of a BBCA show. He ended up disabling it as; "Pop-up said, "Firefox has determined that the following add-ons are known to cause stability or security problems.
JAVA Deployment toolkit 6.0.190/4 6.0/190.4
For your protection, it is highly recommended that you restart with these add-ons disabled."

He has 3 computers all running Win 7, and each has been updated with Sp-1. None of the other 2 laptops have this plug-in.

I checked on mine and found the version in the title of the post. Can someone explain to me what Java Deployment Toolkit is for? I notice I can disable it, but I don't ever remember d/l or installing it. I've asked other friends and they have varying versions of it--some older than mine, but mine was the latest. Any ideas?
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Re: Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.240.7

Post by HansV »

See What is the Java Deployment Toolkit?

I've never felt the need for it (I am not a Java developer), I merely install the JRE (Java Runtime Environment); this is sufficient for running Java applets.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:See What is the Java Deployment Toolkit?

I've never felt the need for it (I am not a Java developer), I merely install the JRE (Java Runtime Environment); this is sufficient for running Java applets.
I read that and don't know how it ended up on my laptop either. I will uninstall and re-install JRE. Thanks.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just checked my Java version and it shows this
JRE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Looks like you've already got the Java Runtime Environment...
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Looks like you've already got the Java Runtime Environment...
Yes, I uninstalled the previous version before I updated, and didn't realize I had that deployment tool. I disabled it for now until I can find how to uninstall it in Firefox.

Edit: I found the directions using :aboutconfig: so will go that route

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

The Java Deployment Toolkit files are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdeployJava1.dll and C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npdeploytk.dll. Users of 32-bit editions of Windows need to remove the (x86) part of the url so that they end up with C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdeployJava1.dll and C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npdeploytk.dll.

It is now time to close the Firefox web browser and open the plugin locations in Windows Explorer. The plugins can simply be deleted in their folders which will also remove them from running as plugins in the Firefox web browser. Cautious users might want to back up the files first before they remove or delete them from the directories.
Java Deployment Tool.png
I'm not sure what to do here. I don't want to delete the wrong thing. Or should I just disable it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I found C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdeployJava1.dll and tried to open it but it won't allow me unless I choose a program to open the .dll file. I don't know how to change the (x86)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

DLL files are not meant to be opened directly. They are code libraries used by other programs.

I have several copies of npdeployjava1.dll on my PC, but none of npdeployjavatk.dll - I assume that "tk" in the latter stands for "toolkit".

If you're not experiencing problems with Java yourself, I'd leave it as it is.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ok thanks for relief lol no problems :-)

Edit: I left it as it was (for a little while :groan: ) and then went into the Java and Mozilla folders and found it and deleted it and rebooted and it's POOF! All seems to be working well. I liked fooling with the about:plugins --that was my fun for today :laugh: