Default browser in iTunes

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Default browser in iTunes

Post by Don Wells »

I have FireFox as my default browser and prefer to leave IE off-line. In this configuration iTunes advises me that the browser is off-line and requires that I switch IE to on-line. I have been unable to find a control in iTunes which will select the default browser, and the Help file doesn't. Does anyone know how to coerce iTunes into using FireFox as the browser?
:thankyou:
Regards
Don

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Default browser in iTunes

Post by Bigaldoc »

Don, are you talking about the iTunes web pages or the local app on your computer? I just went to the iTunes bookmark (web pages) from within Fx without an objection. I'll try to dig in more if I can, to help you.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Don Wells wrote:I have FireFox as my default browser and prefer to leave IE off-line.
You manually set IE to off-line when you close it? I had no idea that would make any difference, but your report suggests that it does. Interesting.

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Bigaldoc wrote:Don, are you talking about the iTunes web pages or the local app on your computer? I just went to the iTunes bookmark (web pages) from within Fx without an objection. I'll try to dig in more if I can, to help you.
Thank you Al
    I open this page with FireFox and then click one of the "View in iTunes" links. This will cause iTunes to launch if it is not already open and the following alert to appear.
2011-02-10_2101.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Don

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Don, I can confirm the same problem. I can also confirm the following additional side effects when I set IE offline, even though my default browser is FF3.6.x:
1. Web links in Excel do not work/are blocked
2. File attachment uploads in Gmail web client do not work/are blocked
Interesting. Are we having fun?
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The obvious workaround to this is to NOT set IE offline.

Since you don't use it anyway, this would seem to be a relatively benign thing to do.
StuartR

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Goshute wrote: 1. Web links in Excel do not work/are blocked
2. File attachment uploads in Gmail web client do not work/are blocked
Interesting. Are we having fun?
We certainly are having fun. You have just supplied the clue which put this problem to bed. :thankyou:
Regards
Don