Greasemonkey userscript to hide Google results by domain

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Re: Greasemonkey userscript to hide Google results by domain

Post by jscher2000 »

StuartR wrote:I installed version 0.93, and it completely failed to function. No buttons, no nothing.
I did have to Ctrl+Shift+r to get 0.93 to work on google.co.uk, but then it behaves normally. Could be a conflict with an extension. Those are so hard to diagnose if you don't already run the same ones. :sad: Anyway, you're not really missing anything.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Could these user scripts be made compatible with Chrome?
Turns out Google has released it own blocker extension for Chrome: Personal Blocklist (by Google) - Chrome Web Store. It reports back to Google so Google can reduce the spamminess of search results, but presumably not associating it with you (I haven't read up on it in that level of detail).

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Updated to version 1.0.3 at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/95205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Functionally, not much new; various UI changes and some compatibility fixes to adapt to alterations made by other scripts.

I generated a PDF of the "About" page for reference: http://jeffersonscher.com/gm/Google-Hit ... t_v103.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

jscher2000 wrote:With that out of the way...

Here is a take on permanent banning, new in version 0.81.
jscher2000 wrote:Updated to version 1.0.3 at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/95205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jefferson,
Your latest versions, 0.9 and 1.0, are excellent. Your "Perma-ban", introduced in ver. 0.81, is perfect; I got more than I wished for. :smile:

Some versions ago, 0.7, I sometimes saw the block button if I temporarily showed a notice; if I then clicked block, not that I should have done that, but as a test, I ended up with two entries for the same site. Since I could not see any pattern, and didn't research that, I didn't mention it; but I think you have mentioned that somewhere. Anyhow, all that has now changed.

Thank you for very well done work!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

I will conclude my updates with this:

I have posted version 1.3.1 on userscripts.org (Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites) for Greasemonkey). Since our discussion here, I got some additional requests on the script hosting site. The changes since version 1.0.3 include:
  • "Export" and "import" functions to ease the process of moving a list from one installation of Firefox to another. (These simply work with textboxes; I don't know how to generate or ingest a text file from JavaScript.)
  • Sorting the lists, and the option to keep them sorted as you block more sites.
  • An auto-update feature to keep the script up-to-date.
Meanwhile, Google has announced that it is rolling out integrated personal blocking (Official Google Blog: Hide sites to find more of what you want). When you are logged in, your blocked sites will be stored by Google. The good news is that this should work from any place that you search Google, and in IE8+ and Chrome as well as Firefox. The bad news is, you have to be logged in. (I don't log in to Google for routine searching; they don't have to know everything.)

So I think this project is coming to an end. I learned a lot during the process, but I'll be happy to recover some free time. :smile: