Which Muppet Is the Opposite of Oscar the Grouch? COOKIES

BobH
UraniumLounger

Which Muppet Is the Opposite of Oscar the Grouch? COOKIES

Post by BobH »

I've done something foolish and don't know what nor how to fix it.

I tried to delete cookies because I was getting so many ads every time I went web surfing. I used the Firefox Tools/Options route to show cookies then delete them. Now, every time I open my browser I have to login on all my favorite sites - the ones that I open in tabs as my home pages. Just now, I went back to the Tools and Show Cookies and deleted them all; and before I could close the panel, all of them repopulated in the list. My home page tab sites are included in the list; yet I have to log in each time I navigate to one of them again.

Short of det cord and C4 or PETN, what can I do to fix this?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Which Muppet Is the Opposite of Oscar the Grouch? COOKI

Post by HansV »

Most web sites where you need to log in, including this one, have a check box "Remember me" or "Log me in automatically" or similar on their login page. Make sure that you tick this check box.
x416.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:Just now, I went back to the Tools and Show Cookies and deleted them all; and before I could close the panel, all of them repopulated in the list. [...]
At some sites, the cookies come back that quick since you have the site open in a tab/window (in your case a result of multiple "home pages").
BobH wrote:I tried to delete cookies because I was getting so many ads every time I went web surfing. I used the Firefox Tools/Options route to show cookies then delete them. Now, every time I open my browser I have to login on all my favorite sites - the ones that I open in tabs as my home pages.
Try them one at a time; close the other tabs, and log in to the site.

You probably selected the wrong option in the drop down:
"Keep until: I close Firefox"

They will be removed when Firefox is closed; and when you restart the browser (thus revisit the sites) new cookies are created and you have to log in again.

P.S. I think this is a Fx question; it has nothing to do with the OS, XP.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Argus wrote:P.S. I think this is a Fx question; it has nothing to do with the OS, XP.
You're correct, Argus. I have moved this thread to the Firefox forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you all!

I have used the "Remember Me" boxes. My guess was that the cookie stored was an old one and that it was not being replaced when I logged in again.

I'll try closing everything, deleting the cookies and going through the process again. I'll report the results.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs