location of toolbar folders

tomyrush
2StarLounger

location of toolbar folders

Post by tomyrush »

This is probably a really simple question - but I can't find the answers.

Where are the folders for the bookmark menu and the bookmarks folder located?

Thanks

Tom

HansV
Administrator

Re: location of toolbar folders

Post by HansV »

Bookmarks are stored in Bookmarks,html in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<yourprofilename> (Windows Vista / Windows 7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<yourprofilename> (Windows XP)

Keep in mind that AppData / Application Data is a hidden folder.

Added: See TonyE's reply below!
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Starting with Firefox 3 bookmarks are stored in places.sqlite in the folder that Hans mentioned. That file also contains browsing history.
Tony

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I am looking for a particular icon file in the sqlite file. I have tried several places to see how to access an sqite file.

Any ideas about how to look at the data? I was redirected to a detailed description of an sqlite file, but didn't see any pgms to use to look at the file.

Any Ideas?

Tom

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sorry to be so dense, but what is it you're trying to do, so we can see if there's some other way to do what you want?

Not sure what you want to do with a bookmark's icon.

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

I dont think it is relevant about what I want to do - but any way - I want to pick up an icon that mozilla stores in both my bookmarks menu and bookmarks toolbar and place it in a shortcut on my desktop

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

tomyrush wrote:I am looking for a particular icon file in the sqlite file. I have tried several places to see how to access an sqite file.
[...]
Any Ideas?
I've not looked closer at the issue, but I do understand that you will need some sort database browser/editor. For example there is a table for moz_favicons in places.sqlite.

There is an add-on, I don't know if it works, and there are other editors as well, see the Mozilla KB: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit of it is discussed here, though in this case someone wanted to peak into the places.sqlite database for other reasons. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 8&t=833835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, here is a randomly selected search result:
How to open/edit Firefox history database places.sqlite
http://www.softwareservice.ca/blog/2010 ... es-sqlite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

tomyrush wrote:I dont think it is relevant about what I want to do - but any way - I want to pick up an icon that mozilla stores in both my bookmarks menu and bookmarks toolbar and place it in a shortcut on my desktop
Sorry, no offense was intended. I have a program called IconsExtract that is sometimes useful. That's why I was asking, but unfortunately it doesn't find any icons in the file. I'll keep looking.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I hope I'm not still pursuing the wrong trail, but I exported my Fx bookmarks and opened that file with my HTML editor. I looked at a number of bookmarks and they all show the location of the "favicon.ico" for that URL.

It seems I can visit that address and display the icon for that URL, then saving it for local use. Am I still way off course? Here's a clip of part of one of my toolbar bookmark folders.
2010-11-16_085143.png
favicon.ico (ICON Image, 16x16 pixels)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.