login two accounts from the same web browser

adam
SilverLounger

login two accounts from the same web browser

Post by adam »

Hi anyone,

Is it possible to sign in two accounts such as facebook or any other account from the same web browser such as the Mozilla firefox.

I'm aware that this can be done using two separate browsers.

Any help on this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Adam

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: login two accounts from the same web browser

Post by John Gray »

The usual answer is "Why don't you try it?"! Create a second tab by clicking on File then on New tab, and load ffacebook in the second tab window...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

adam wrote:Hi anyone,

Is it possible to sign in two accounts such as facebook or any other account from the same web browser such as the Mozilla firefox.
I'm not sure if you mean two Facebook accounts or Facebook and something else, but the attached should answer the question in the affirmative either way.

In three Firefox tabs I currently am logged in to this Lounge and two Facebook accounts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the reply Bigaldoc. But when I try to sign in my second facebook account it still opens the first account that I have already signed in. How do you do that what you have shown in image?
Best Regards,
Adam

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

adam wrote:Thanks for the reply Bigaldoc. But when I try to sign in my second facebook account it still opens the first account that I have already signed in. How do you do that what you have shown in image?
Hmmm, didn't know that and I've evidently "fooled" Facebook by accidentally doing what I did some time ago:

I have two Firefox BOOKMARKS, one for each account and they were created individually, logging on when no FB profiles were open. Then, when I click each one, it has the profile number so FB knows that user is already logged on. (Like this Lounge, I DO NOT logout when I close Facebook.)

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

From the answers above, I suspect that if you simply go to the portal of a website such as Facebook, it will do a cookie check to see what your last activity was, and log you in with that information.

If you use a bookmark or link that leads to a specific profile, the web-server should/would go to the appropriate cookie(s) for that profile information. In that case, you need to create bookmarks (or manually enter in the address field) that link to specific logins as Al has done.
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif is correct, given the background of how I did what I did. When I first got serious about Facebook, I quickly realized that I needed some bookmarks to help me get to various places in Facebook with a lot less clicks than it does within Facebook proper. For example, I wanted a bookmark to go to my photo albums, another to go directly to friend lists and so on. So, here's what I did, starting with BOTH Facebook accounts being LOGGED OUT:

On my Fx personal toolbar, I right-clicked and created a bookmark FOLDER called Firefox.

Then I logged in to MY Facebook account using its email and password. I dragged the URL's favicon into the Facebook folder on my personal toolbar. Finally, logged OUT again.

I repeated the above procedure with my wife's Facebook account and logged out.

From that point on, I don't ever log out of either account. Wow, it's been almost two years since I did all this, so I hope I've recollected the steps correctly. Obviously, it can be done, but I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Whoa, hang on a minute, Adam. There's evidently a fly in the COOKIES ointment here that I've never come upon. I suppose the reason is that my wife's account is one I use only for testing things in Facebook which I won't bore you with here. Those things I've done testing with have never involved the three internal links in Facebook shown here:
2010-10-12_083552.png
I just found out by further testing that if I click one of those three links while BOTH Facebook profiles are open, Facebook evidently uses the cookies from MY account, not my wife's account. So, it looks like what I've been "getting away with" won't work for extensive use within Facebook because Firefox is mixing the two cookie lists.

For example, if I'm in the tab with my wife's account and hover my mouse over the Account link, it shows MY profile picture, not hers. It doesn't do that if I have one account open in Firefox and the other in IE.

Conclusion: It seems that your original supposition is correct I'm afraid. It's a good thing Leif mentioned the cookies or I wouldn't have thought to check this more thoroughly. Sorry for the detours...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Yeah that was what I had pointed out exactly. If you login from two different browsers there is no problem I guess. But you could log on from the same browser into two accounts with two individual tabs but it eventually does what you have mentioned in the following;
or example, if I'm in the tab with my wife's account and hover my mouse over the Account link, it shows MY profile picture, not hers. It doesn't do that if I have one account open in Firefox and the other in IE.
And if the pages are book marked or saved without signing out I guess a third person could log in to the open account by chance.
Best Regards,
Adam

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

You can use the Multifox add-on to log into 2 accounts simultaneously in Firefox.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

TonyE wrote:You can use the Multifox add-on to log into 2 accounts simultaneously in Firefox.
Whooee, I think I hear a sound like an "ambulance" as Tony "rides in to the rescue!"

Thanks Tony - going after that as we speak!

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

TonyE wrote:You can use the Multifox add-on to log into 2 accounts simultaneously in Firefox.
Good one, Tony! I didn't know about that extension either. It appears that it would support more than 2 accounts (up to ??).

When I went to the extension site itself, I found some reviews possibly worth reading: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 3/reviews/
Sundog

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

So the Multifox add-on does the job.

Meaning it helps to sign in two facebook accounts simultaneously from firefox.

I guess the same principle applies here. where the multifox gives an option to "Open in a New Identity Profile" when the tab is right clicked.

But not as a new tab in the same window.

As far as this is concerned it does the same function where when one sign in one account from internet explorer and the other from firefox.

Here the difference is that on both occasions firefox is being used.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I do really appropriate that.
Best Regards,
Adam

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For info, there are other add-ons that offer similar functionality, CookieSwap and CookiePie.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It seems I'm with Adam (I think) on this one. It's a nice tool but for me to open two Facebook profiles (or any other) with it, it's just about as easy to open one in Fx and the other in IE. I guess if you had several, such as the example at the addon page of five Gmail accounts, it might be a different story.

Even then, when you open the new window, you have to remember which number you want, 2 or 3 or whatever, prior to clicking the bookmark for that profile. I suppose there's ways to "teach your memory" which window you want, but I don't think that it's worth it for minimal and occasional use.