Extension Wars

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Extension Wars

Post by PaulB »

Another reason I will continue using Firefox.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: Extension Wars

Post by PJ_in_FL »

How do BRAVE and OPERA play in the security continuum? Do they support the enhanced ad blocking that Firefox still supports?
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The article states that the Brave and Opera browsers (along with MS Edge) are based on Chromium and will be affected by this proposed change.
Ad blocker developers are also concerned because the impacts of those changes will reach far beyond the Chrome browser. The MV3 spec is part of the Chromium project, an open-source web browser created by Google that forms the basis of not only Chrome but also Microsoft Edge, the privacy-focused Brave, lightweight browser Opera, and many others. Since Chromium underpins these projects, browsers that depend on it will also eventually have to migrate to the MV3 extension format, and extensions for those browsers will then no longer be able to do ad blocking using Web Request.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

PJ, Brave and Opera are both chrome-like browsers and likely to support whatever Google does with Chrome, I think.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 21:02
PJ, Brave and Opera are both chrome-like browsers and likely to support whatever Google does with Chrome, I think.
Thanks for the expert replies!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL