Browsing History - IE8

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Browsing History - IE8

Post by hlewton »

I have actually two questions that may be related so I'll make only one thread.

I have my computers set to delete browsing history when I exit IE 8. I assume it is working properly but I am not sure. However, when I check the history it seems to be blank except for "Today's" visits. On one computer I am still remembered here at this site when I sign in but on another computer I have to sign in each visit if I have exited IE 8 between visits. The latter procedure is what I would expect to happen. So why would one computer remember me and I not have to sign into Eileen's with each visit when starting a new IE session and the other not?

I do not like the "Favorites Toolbar" showing and I have turned it off many, many times by right clicking the toolbar and unchecking it. Unexpectedly it will return and until I notice it and turn it off again it is visible. How can I turn it off permanently and not have to continue to see it appear?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Browsing History - IE8

Post by HansV »

When you click Delete..., you'll get a dialog with options. The settings that you select here will also be used when you exit Internet Explorer if "Delete browsing history on exit" is ticked.

In particular, if the check box "Preserve Favorites websites data" is ticked, cookies and temporary files for websites listed in your Favorites will NOT be deleted. So if Eileen's Lounge is in your Favorites, the cookie for Eileen's Lounge will not be deleted and you won't have to log in next time.

But if the check box "Preserve Favorites websites data" is clear, cookies and temporary files for websites listed in your Favorites will be deleted with those for all other websites. That includes the cookie for Eileen's Lounge. So next time, you'll have to log in again.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Browsing History - IE8

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I'll check those settings and see what they are set at now.
Regards,
hlewton