The program couldn't be downloaded.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

The program couldn't be downloaded.

Post by Pilgrim »

About 2 or 3 days ago I ran into a problem trying to download anything with IE9 in Vista. The download manager opens and the download progresses normally, but at the very end when it should have finished, I get the following message: "The program couldn't be downloaded.".

I have searched for a resolution with Google and tried just about everything suggested, including uninstalling IE9, which reverted to IE8 (which works) and reinstalling IE9, but nothing fixed the problem. I have no problem downloading anything with Firefox or when possible, using IDM. The problem is specific to IE9 only.

Thanks for any suggestions to try.

TIA
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: The program couldn't be downloaded.

Post by HansV »

Have you seen Error message when you download files by using Internet Explorer 9 from secure websites: "<filename> couldn’t be downloaded"?

Some other things to check:
- Select Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Does the same problem occur? If not, an add-on may be the cause.
- Make sure that the TEMP environment variable is set to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp where <username> is your Windows login name.
- Make sure that this folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp) exists.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Have you seen Error message when you download files by using Internet Explorer 9 from secure websites: "<filename> couldn’t be downloaded"?[/quote
Yes, and all is fine with those recommended settings. This occurs on ALL sites for all files and not just secure, https:// sites.

Some other things to check:
HansV wrote:- Select Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Does the same problem occur? If not, an add-on may be the cause.
Same problem using the No Add-Ons.
HansV wrote:- Make sure that the TEMP environment variable is set to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp where <username> is your Windows login name.
Not sure where to check this??
HansV wrote:- Make sure that this folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp) exists.
I have a "temp" folder there.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To check your environment variables:
- Select Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.
- Type the word SET and press Enter.
S0306.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:To check your environment variables:
- Select Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.
- Type the word SET and press Enter.
S0306.png
Yep... they be there:

TEMP=C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer 9 didn't help, I fear that resetting it (through Tools | Internet Options..., Advanced tab, Reset... button) wouldn't help either...

I found a suggestion to create a new user account, but that seems rather drastic to me...
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Since uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer 9 didn't help, I fear that resetting it (through Tools | Internet Options..., Advanced tab, Reset... button) wouldn't help either...

I found a suggestion to create a new user account, but that seems rather drastic to me...
Yep, already tried the "Reset" suggestion and that didn't make any difference either.

Creating a new user account isn't something I am willing to do at this point. I agree that it would be rather "drastic" and unnecessary.

This started after we had a couple of sudden power outages. Whether it is relevant or not I can't say since nothing else was negatively effected. I have a good surge protector and it hasn't failed me yet, but perhaps IE got bitten? hehe

Does the "dllhost.exe" file have any association with IE? Just curious...
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's quite possible that Internet Explorer uses DLLHost.exe, but I currently don't have any tools to investigate this.
Best wishes,
Hans