Logic to solve a problem

bknight
BronzeLounger

Logic to solve a problem

Post by bknight »

I have a Db that contains futures trading. I had a scheme to calculate profits but that has failed recently with more complex trading. I'm looking for a method to calculate profit. I've enclosed a PARTIAL record of the Db nothing more is needed to calculate. h method is needed. The code doing most of the heavy lifting. The spreadsheet contains a number, instrument, whether the trade was a buy or sell, quantity traded, whether the trade was an entry or exit, and most crucial what the trade produced. The calculation is performed on the record that contains exit and -. Now from glancing at the spreadsheet the entries/exits seem trivial but more combinations exist but not shown.
In the code that cons the calculation, which is in error and needs recoded, I have a GetRows function should help in this task. So here is my new scheme the quantity traded between the first entry and the last exit must equal zero. One way to calculate is to identify the record that contains both exit and -cycle back through the records to find the record that sums all the quantities to zero.

But I don't know how to perform the procedure summing quantity and another field NOT SHOWN named amount for profit.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Logic to solve a problem

Post by HansV »

Did you intend to attach something?
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Sorry I thought I did.
While looking at that another small question.
I currently use a sub to number the transactions. I have a variable in that sub can this variable be used in another sub?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you provide an example of the desired output?
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Only conceptually the sum of the quantities between the first entry and the last exit in each of the trades will be equal to zero and the respective amounts (not shown but in the Db as another field) will be summed over those same records. In the spreadsheet one can see that the first 4 records meet those criteria. Using that same criteria records 5 and six meet the criteria. I highlighted all the last exits for each Block to be considered. This demonstrates a full entry and exit of the records shown. Now I need a procedure to identify the records in code and then sum the amounts not shown and enter that sum into another field (that I know ow to code. The numbers in the first field are assigned by another sub no changes to that code piece, just the calculation part. In addition I asked whether a variable in this numbering sub could be used in another code the one I'm asking about I think the term was dynamic, but it has been too many years since my classes.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'll have to leave this to someone smarter than me.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

This is the scheme that will and does work for the given subset. As time goes by I'll determine if there are any issues, but for now it works. This was developed in Excel, and I'll be required to modify into the Db.

Code: Select all

Sub CalcPft()
Dim I As Long, lngQuan As Long, lngStartNum As Long, lngQuanOpen As Long
Dim strCont As String, strAction As String, EntEx As String, strPos As String
Dim dblAmt As Double, dblPft As Double, dblCurAmt As Double
For I = 2 To 154
If Range("E" & I) = "Entry" Then
lngQuanOpen = Range("D" & I).Value + lngQuanOpen
dblCurAmt = Range("G" & I).Value + dblCurAmt
ElseIf Range("E" & I).Value = "Exit" And Range("F" & I).Value <> "-" Then
lngQuanOpen = Range("D" & I).Value + lngQuanOpen
dblCurAmt = Range("G" & I).Value + dblCurAmt