Conditional formatting (yellow on gray) (Access 2007)

Caesar3
Lounger

Conditional formatting (yellow on gray) (Access 2007)

Post by Caesar3 »

I use conditional formatting to color-code text on a report. The colors—red, yellow, and green—denote the status of the item (record). For example, if the item is ready, its status is "green" and the text appears in bold green. My problem is that yellow text is very hard to read, especially when it appears on a line that has alternate-line gray highlighting. I'm looking for a way to make the yellow text more legible, especially when I print the report.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Conditional formatting (yellow on gray) (Access 2007)

Post by HansV »

Yellow is very light so it's only comfortable to read on a dark background. That might be acceptable for on-screen viewing, but it's unattractive and expensive when you print the report.
To increase readability on light backgrounds, you could make the text bold, and preferably use a darker shade of yellow, or an orange-ish color - orange is not unusual for traffic lights.
Best wishes,
Hans

Caesar3
Lounger

Post by Caesar3 »

Ah, that's much better. Orange! Thanks, Hans!

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

Caesar3 wrote:I use conditional formatting to color-code text on a report. The colors—red, yellow, and green—denote the status of the item (record). For example, if the item is ready, its status is "green" and the text appears in bold green. My problem is that yellow text is very hard to read, especially when it appears on a line that has alternate-line gray highlighting. I'm looking for a way to make the yellow text more legible, especially when I print the report.
Personally, I'd use the conditional formatting to set a background color rather than the foreground color. Even Yellow is easy to see as a background.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.