Book Recommendation

carrietm
2StarLounger

Book Recommendation

Post by carrietm »

I have a little one at home and work full time so taking a class is out of the question at this time. Can someone recommend a book in layman's terms for learning more about the commands that can be used in the code builder.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by HansV »

I haven't bought any Access books recently, so I don't really have recommendations, but here is a search on Amazon about Access VBA books:
Microsoft Access VBA in Books.
Best wishes,
Hans

carrietm
2StarLounger

Post by carrietm »

Thank you.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

To some extent recommendations are dependent on the version of Access that you are using - I do see a mention of Excel 2000 in some of your posts, so if you are using Access 2000 then books based on Access 2007 or 2010 may have some topics that aren't relevant to Access 2000. That said, the Access object model and VBA really haven't changed much since Access 2000, if you exclude the new database format in 2007/2010. I have a couple of books I really like, expecially for relative novices. One is "Microsoft Access 2010 24-Hour Trainer (video lessons on DVD)" by Griffith and Bradly, and the other is "Mastering Microsoft Office Access 2007 Development" by Allison Balter. Both contain lots of topics other than VBA, but they do cover VBA up to an intermediate level, and in a readable and coherent fashion. Another book I also like is "Access 2010 Inside Out" by Conrad and Viescas. It goes into greater depth on many topics, and contains a CD-ROM with expanded material, and is also available in versions bases on 2002, 2003 and 2007. I should add that I personally know one of the authors of each of these books, and respect their technical ability and writing skills, so that probably colors my recommendation.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

carrietm wrote:I have a little one at home and work full time so taking a class is out of the question at this time. Can someone recommend a book in layman's terms for learning more about the commands that can be used in the code builder.
I had a good one some time ago, which unfortunately I lent out and never got back. I think it was Beginning Access VBA by Dave Sussman; but I don't think he has a recent version.

In any event, I'd try to find a book that emphasized beginning/learning, rather than just a reference book (which is great once you know what you are doing, but aren't good at introducing you to and working through the fundamentals).
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

I happen to have a copy for Access 97 by Smith and Sussman - but the object model changed so much between 97 and 2000 that I wouldn't choose to use it to learn VBA. There are later version available in the WROX line, written by Denise Gosnell, but they don't get very good reviews on Amazon. I would be inclined to look at the Dummies book or the book for Absolute Begineers in a library - it's the sort of book you will use to learn, and then you will want one that goes into much greater depth.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

I was looking it up on Amazon, and the latest version was Access2002; I think still by Sussman. It was a really good learning book, because they started with a simple database, and each chapter included samples and examples, building on what you had learned in the prior chapters. But someone just learning needs to be using 2010 (or at least 2007).
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Post by BobSullivan »

Sorry to jump in late on this one, but one that I have found very useful was Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA by Scott Diamond.

Good examples and snippets of code, IMO.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA