Notify when batchfile ends

spectrum
StarLounger

Notify when batchfile ends

Post by spectrum »

I have a batchfile which takes a while to run. It's called with a shell command. Is there a way to obtain an event/notification to say when the batchfile has ended. I tried putting DoEvents after calling my batchfile, followed by a messagebox, but the messagebox appeared way before the batchfile had finished. Any ideas? I Don't always know how long the batchfile will run for to use a timer. ?? Thanks

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Notify when batchfile ends

Post by John Gray »

What sort of event/notification are you hoping for? In pure BATch you're limited to using an ECHO command, or running something like MsgBox, or terminating with EXIT /B 1 (if something can inspect the errorlevel/return code), or setting up a flag file that something else can inspect. BLAT (among other programs) can be used to send yourself an email.

Probably more appropriate for a VBA person?

After a little more thought...
In BATch there is a difference between running
  • BATchfile.bat
  • CALL BATchfile.bat
  • START " " /WAIT BATchfile.bat
to do with whether your 'calling program' waits until the BATch file terminates before continuing, or sets up a child process which just executes by itself and terminates, while the 'calling program' carries on regardless.
Seems to me that you need to set the BATch file off and wait for it to terminate!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

spectrum
StarLounger

Post by spectrum »

Thanks John for your help. I did not know a messagebox can be put in a batchfile, so I will disable controls on my form prior to the batchfile being called, and use a messagebox at the end of the batchfile commands, which after clicking ok I can re-enable form controls.

I will also look into START " " /WAIT BATchfile.bat to see if a better option still exists. It's really to stop people doing anything else while the batchfile is working, telling them something is happening and resuming user freedom afterwards.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

The MsgBox I referred to was an external utility program called by the BATch file!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

spectrum
StarLounger

Post by spectrum »

Hello John, I managed to put:
msg * Operation Finished at the end of my batchfile commands.

That then frees the user to carry on once the messagebox is clicked. Prior to going into the batchfile I have a notice displayed (label) saying please wait!!

Seems to have got me sorted John, so thanks again

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Well done! Most places have disabled the MSG * command because of 'misuse'...!
John Gray

spectrum
StarLounger

Post by spectrum »

Thanks to you John, if you had not mentioned message boxes I would still be scratching my head.