Developed database is ready for use

danage
NewLounger

Developed database is ready for use

Post by danage »

Hello,
I've made a database to register certain information. Very simple. Made my queries, forms, reports, vba script etc. I've splitted the database in a front end and back end database

At home I'm using Microsoft Access 2007, but the users of 'my' database have access 2003 or access 2007, so I've made a .mdb database.
I'm using Access 2007 for about 15 months for my work, mostly simple things to help me. before that I'm quite advanced using Access 2003.

I'm ready for the last step: to hide navigation/objects etc. for the users and then make a .mde database of the front end.
I'm used to work with startup options in access 2003 and have nog experience with finishing an access 2007 database.

Can anybody tell me if there is a some kind of manual how to prepare the database so that the users can't have access to the objects only through the switchboard. No menus, only filter/sort/find/copy paste icons?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerard van Daalen
Naaldwijk, the Netherlands

HansV
Administrator

Re: Developed database is ready for use

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

If you want to create a .mde from Access 2007, it will have to be from an Access 2002-2003 format .mdb. You can't convert an Access 2000 format .mdb to .mde.
I would recommend doing it from Access 2003 - if you create it from Access 2007, Access 2003 users may have problems with VBA references.

If you're going to use Access 2003, you might as well set the startup options there.

But if you want to set startup options in Access 2007, open the database, then click the Office button.
Click Access Options.
Click Current Database in the navigation pane on the left hand side of the Access Options dialog.
Under Application Options you can set the startup form, whether to display the status bar, whether to allow special Access keys etc.
Under Navigation, you can specify whether the Navigation pane is displayed.
Under Ribbon and Toolbar Options, you can specify whether the full ribbon is displayed or not, and whether built-in context menus are displayed.
Last edited by HansV on 06 Feb 2012, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to correct mistakes (thanks, Wendell)
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

HansV wrote:... If you want to create a .MDE database, you will have to do so in Access 2003. Access 2007 lets you create an .ACDDE database from a .ACCDB database, not a .MDE database from a .MDB database. ...
Hans, I don't think that is quite correct. If you have an .ACCDB database, you can't create a .MDE from it, and if you have a .MDB, you can't create an .ACCDE from it, but if you have a .MDB, then you get a button on the Database Tools ribbon that says "Make MDE" in the Database Tools Group. Otherwise, I think your suggestions are spot on - this MS Office article confirms it.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wendell, you're correct! I was testing with an Access 2000 format .mdb, you can't convert that to a .mde. But you *can* convert an Access 2002-2003 format .mdb to .mde in Access 2007 and 2010.

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans