Screen Size

theresaC
StarLounger

Screen Size

Post by theresaC »

I've embedded a picture into the background of my form and have placed fields on top of it. In design view the fields are placed properly but for some reason when I move into Form view, their location changes. I'm not sure what's causing this. As a work around, I've put them in the wrong position in design view so they would appear correct in form view. This seemed fine until I copied it from my home PC to the laptop. Then the fields were a mess again. I would prefer to understand why it's doing this and fix the problem correctly or come up with a better work around. Any insight you can offer will be appreciated.

Our home PC uses a 17 1/2" x 9 3/4" monitor (actual viewing area) while the laptop, which I'll be using to project my project at school is 11 1/4" x 8 1/2".

Thank you,
Theresa

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Screen Size

Post by Wendell »

Hi Theresa,
There are a number of potential issues with forms when moving from one monitor to another. I presume you actually pointed to the picture in the form property Picture on the Format tab of the properties box. There are several properties associated with that, the most important being Picture Size Mode - you should probably set that to clip as long as your picture is no larger than the form size (determined by the Width property of the form, and the Height of the the Detail section. Any other setting will distort your picture. Other properties that can affect the display of the form are the Auto Center, the Auto Resize, and the Fit To Screen properties. I would set all of these to No (I'm basing this on Access 2007 - 2000 may not have all these properties). One other property that can affect the behavior of the form is the Pop Up property on the Other tab of the properties box. If that is set to Yes, the form will normally maintain it's size rather than filling the entire Access window regardless of the other settings on the Format tab.

Finally, the aspect ratio of your two monitors is quite different - 1.8 versus 1.32 - so the display is bound to look a bit different. One thing you might try if you can't get the properties configured to your satisfaction, is to place an Image Control on the form, and display the picture in that control. By their nature, pictures tend to be rather large, and if you have many of them, your database can get out of hand in a hurry. I worked on a system design by someone else a couple of years ago that had a picture on every form - 100s of them - and the database had ballooned to nearly 1 GByte in size. Not only that, but it took 5 minutes to display the startup form. Removing those reduced it to under 10 MBytes, and made it load in a few seconds. The alternative is to set the picture property dynamically in code when the form is loaded, but that requires doing some VBA. Good luck.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

theresaC
StarLounger

Re: Screen Size

Post by theresaC »

Thank you Wendell. I applied all of the settings that you suggested and will check into the image control a bit more.