sql server can't handle ADO link

garbsmj
4StarLounger

sql server can't handle ADO link

Post by garbsmj »

I know you wonderful people can at least direct me to a site that discusses this. Here's the background:

1. I have this user who wants a memo field and it's going to be hard enough to display "Gone with the Wind" but anyway, I was unable to get OLEDB to pull the field in. I looked around on the interwebs and saw that ADO would work.

2. my package has two links - 1 to OLEDB and 1 to ADO. On my wonky machine, the package runs fine and the huge field comes over up to 8K characters and I still have to work out what to do if this is, indeed "War and Peace".

3. I send the package to the server people but when it runs, of course, the ADO errors out.

So either it's because a)we don't do no stinkin' ADO on the server which means I have to come up with another creative solution or b)possibly the two links are making the server go nuts.

If somebody can come up with something, I would be eternally grateful. But a link is good too. In the meantime, I've yanked the package out and it will be standing in the corner for awhile Bad package, bad bad bad.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Re: sql server can't handle ADO link

Post by garbsmj »

Just to be more clear about the ADO connection. It's actually an ADO.NET. I tried to change the OLDEDB connections to ADO.NET but was unsuccessful when I tried to convert a step that updates a table.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

We really need a bit more info about your "package" so we can point you in the right direction. Is this an Access .mdb file, an Access .adp file, or is it some sort of .Net application created with C# or Visual Basic? It may be an issue of references on the server, but without more details it's difficult to make intelligent guesses.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

It's an ssis package. It runs fine outside the server but when we put it on the server with the rest of the usual suspects, it errors out. Which is really frustrating.

Cute picture!

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Unfortunately, SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) isn't something I've worked with, and I suspect that's true of most of the people who frequent this forum. Let me suggest you post your question at SQL Server Central - they have a forum for SSIS under their SQL Server 2005 group of forums that is dedicated to that topic, and it has a good deal of current activity. Of course you will probably need to register as a user. Hopefully someone there can assist you.

As to the picture - it's VERY old! Guess I should update it.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Sorry I took so long to get back to this. I wanted to say this has been resolved, although now I'm questioning the wisdom of upgrading my machine and not the server....

Anyway, between having to hack into the xml and change the connection string and then clicking the box on the server to run 64bit as 32bit (or something like that) it finally worked.

Wendell - I have been a member at SQl Server Central for like years and thanks for the :doh: moment. At least I was able to verify that it was them, not me.