Start/Stop SQL Server

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Start/Stop SQL Server

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. SQL Server 2008 Express and Management Studio.

Ages ago I used to have a shortcut on my desktop, and one at the bottom right corner, that I could click or right-click to start or stop the server. Does anyone know how I can re-instate this?

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Start/Stop SQL Server

Post by HansV »

SQL Server 2008, unlike SQL Server 2000, doesn't come with a Service Manager. But see SQL Server Service Manager (free).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:SQL Server 2008, unlike SQL Server 2000, doesn't come with a Service Manager. But see SQL Server Service Manager (free).
Thanks for this :cheers:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Will this work on SQL Server 2008 R2? I couldn't see where it says yes or no.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

kwvh wrote:Will this work on SQL Server 2008 R2? I couldn't see where it says yes or no.
I haven't actually installed it, but it states that it will find all available server instances, and list them so they can be started/stopped.

For me, it's slightly more detailed than I need at the moment, as I'm not using SQL Server regularly enough. I might investigate a shortcut/ command line to start and stop, or even (hopefully) toggle the server.. I'm sure this must be possible :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Also see SQL Server on a Netbook – Part 2. Make sure to read the entire article.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:Also see SQL Server on a Netbook – Part 2. Make sure to read the entire article.
That's great, thank you :cheers:

All I need now is a .bat conditional to start if stopped, stop if started :scratch:. I assume I need to read the current status of a service..
Might need to dip into .vbs if I want a message to confirm the current status..

Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

No problem :clapping:

NET START "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"||NET STOP "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"

I don't need a confirmation as the command prompt confirms whether it's started or stopped. Great, ta, Andy.

Added: Pushed it into my quick launch and changed the title, and the icon, as well :clapping: