Access Macro Security Warning

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Access Macro Security Warning

Post by hlewton »

When I open any of my Access databases I always get a security warning saying:

“This file may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your computer.”

I then have to click the “Open” button to continue. I can avoid this security warning if I set the “Macro Security” to “Low” but that is not recommended. I think I would be safe setting it to “Low” since all the databases I work with I have designed or worked with others to design for me. However, on the off chance that I ever did try opening a file containing malicious code I have kept the "Macro Security” setting at “Medium” which causes the above security warning I mentioned.

Is there a way, an easy way, to have it skip this step and not show that security warning for the files I have created other than setting the "Macro Security Level" to "Low?"

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Access Macro Security Warning

Post by agibsonsw »

I assume this is for Access 2007, or possibly 2010.

You can create a 'Trusted Location' for yourself and save your databases in this location; this will avoid you having to enable/trust the content each time.

I read somewhere that it is not advisable to create your trusted location within your (My) Documents folder. So, if you have a personal drive, create a folder on this to save your databases in.

Then choose the Office (pizza!) button, Options, Trust Centre, Trust Centre Settings and click Trusted Locations (on the right) and then 'Add new Location' (bottom-left). You can choose to trust sub-folders of this folder as well, but this is not usually relevant.

You'll need to exit Access and, of course, move the relevant databases to the folder. Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:I read somewhere that it is not advisable to create your trusted location within your (My) Documents folder. So, if you have a personal drive, create a folder on this to save your databases in.
Why would that be?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:
agibsonsw wrote:I read somewhere that it is not advisable to create your trusted location within your (My) Documents folder. So, if you have a personal drive, create a folder on this to save your databases in.
Why would that be?
From the second site you mention:
Important We recommend that you don't designate your entire Documents or My Documents folder as a trusted location. If you do this, it creates a target for a hacker to potentially exploit and increases your security risk.
It does say "entire Documents" folder though, so a sub-folder withn (My) Documents is probably fine.

I note you cite two sites but I assumed the process is pretty much the same. Perhaps I should read both pages to discover :smile:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The content of the two links is largely the same, except for Office button vs File tab of the ribbon.

The warning is inded against declaring the entire Documents folder including its subfolders as a trusted location.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I probably should have mentioned it before but my version is Office 2003 SP3 and my OS is XP. Since Office 2003 wasn't mentioned in the replies I am assuming I can't create a trusted folder for that version.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Trusted locations were introduced in Office 2007, so you're correct that you can't create or use them in Access 2003.

I don't think there's a serious problem setting macro security to Low - macro viruses in Access are rare and if you happen to get one, it will almost certainly be caught by your anti-virus software.
If you'd rather set it to Medium, you can sign the code in your databases with a digital certificate. If it's only for your own use, you can use the SelfCert application included in MS Office to create a personal certificate. See About digital signatures.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I'll probably set it to low.
Regards,
hlewton

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

hlewton wrote:I probably should have mentioned it before but my version is Office 2003 SP3 and my OS is XP. Since Office 2003 wasn't mentioned in the replies I am assuming I can't create a trusted folder for that version.

Thanks
Here are steps to make it go away:

From Main Menu, select "Tools"
Then select "Macro"
then select "Security"
On Security Level tab, click the "Low" button
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep, thank you.
Regards,
hlewton