Core configuration management

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Core configuration management

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. (Access 2003)

Does anyone know of a sample database for Core Configuration Management? I understand this records details of servers, departments, processes, etc.
I assume it allows a company to have full knowledge of their IT setup?
If not, is there anything specific to this kind of database that I need to understand to enable me to discuss it? Isn't it a fairly standard database but probably with
lots of related tables?

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Core configuration management

Post by StuartR »

Tools for configuration management are typically part of an overall service management toolset, which provides support for incident management, problem management and change management, as well as some way to manage the history for each configuration item. In a very sophisticated organization this will include information about users, services, access rights, buildings, network components and software licenses (and many things I have forgotten here) as well as about the configuration of the servers and desktops.

Before you even start to consider what the database should look like you should be asking really hard questions about what you want this database for.
  • Who will be using it?
  • What value should they get from it?
  • Who will be populating the data?
  • Will you need to integrate this tool with other tools, for example tools that collect configuration data or service management tools?
  • etc.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Core configuration management

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you for these questions - that's exactly what I need. I won't be building it myself and I think it is a long term project that they are considering.

As you hint at, perhaps it is a surprise that they don't already have this kind of configuration. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.