Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

Post by ChrisGreaves »

It's an old database, single table. I've been using it for about 8 years.
Today I noticed that the Autonumber values were around 40,000,000+ whereas they had been in the 2,000 range.

Before I screw things up royally, has anyone a clue why this behavioral change?
In the screen shot I have included the tab from the definition of the "ID" field.
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

Post by HansV »

In the first place, the table currently isn't sorted by the ID field - as far as I can tell, it's sorted by Business.

If you have ever added a record to the table with an ID in the 40,000,000+ range, for example by executing an append query, the AutoNumber field would go on incrementing from that value. Could that be the explanation?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Access 2000 - AutoNumber gone wonky

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:In the first place, the table currently isn't sorted by the ID field - as far as I can tell, it's sorted by Business.
That's correct, Hans. FWIW I figured it was one way of showing both styles of number/ID.
If you have ever added a record to the table with an ID in the 40,000,000+ range, for example by executing an append query, the AutoNumber field would go on incrementing from that value. Could that be the explanation?
tHANkS.
I bet that's it.
I recall that a couple of months ago I appended some records from a CSV file. (When I delete a record I append IT to a CSV file just-in-case).
Since I have several date fields in my records, it is quite possible that I neglected to export the ID field, and then sucked up a date field (40,000 days since 1901) as the ID field.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle