Converting hours to FTEs

Spider
StarLounger

Converting hours to FTEs

Post by Spider »

Hi all,
I'm working on a database that collects hours we use to supply a "sitter" to patients in the hospital that are at risk of suicide etc.
The problem is, this is a 24/7, 365 days a year (no holidays, vacations) and there is no limit to the amount of people it may take (so I don't have a set staff to cover, it is unlimited from many hospital employees)

I basically just collect the hours per day per patient and the floor it occurred on.
We need to see how many FTEs we are using for this.

I understand the calculations for the different scenarios:
2080 hours per year = FTE
173.33 hours per month = FTE
8 hours per day =FTE

So, do I need to create individual reports (calculations) for a user running a date range report for two weeks vs a month vs a year? They will want to run a report at any time.
If I use 173. in my calculation - and then they run the report for a year, or a week, the numbers will not be correct.

I guess now that I've written this, it doesn't really sound like a database question - but I've had a few databases in the past with the same problem. I've searched for something similar - but it's all the stuff I already know.

Even if I have to create multiple reports - at least I will finally know the answer :-)
Vicky

HansV
Administrator

Re: Converting hours to FTEs

Post by HansV »

I'd work with a start date and end date; the number of days will be [EndDate]-[StartDate]+1; the number of hours in this period is 8*([EndDate]-[StartDate]+1). You can divide by this number to get FTEs.

For a period of one week, set EndDate to DateAdd("ww",1,[StartDate])-1
For a period of two weeks, set EndDate to DateAdd("ww",2,[StartDate])-1
For a period of one month, set EndDate to DateAdd("m",1,[StartDate])-1
For a period of one year, set EndDate to DateAdd("yyyy",1,[StartDate])-1
Best wishes,
Hans