Access 2010 Bugs

teachesms
2StarLounger

Re: Access 2010 Bugs

Post by teachesms »

Hans,

I found: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s_AppLevel which might help me a little, but not so sure it's going to be an easy time of it. I will try it out. Looks a lot like the one I tried before while I had my hands on the beta version.

Splitting a db in two to receive a back end and front end is a safe method I agree for ensuring backend tables don't get messed up.

I have always created a start up form with 1) Admin control (for getting into design view), 2) a button for each department so they can go to their own particular forms if they provide the correct password), 3) on their particular forms, they would find all the reports and forms and macro buttons for the querys they need (usually parameter prompted).

Now they have made it so difficult for many users to use the same database without accessing everything of everybodies. This is the part I'm trying to wrap my head around...am I missing a major part of the puzzle? I wouldn't be surprised, but am I?
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'll have to get used to the lack of user-level security. Many Access developers deplore its dismissal, but that won't make it come back, just like the old menu/toolbar interface won't come back although it was infinitely better than the ribbon. You'll have to create your own security, or move the data to a secure database such as SQL Server. :shrug:
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Hans,

Thank you for the feedback. I think the hardest part for me to get over is that without user-level security, one person cannot create and maintain a database for the entire department. In most instances, it is that one person who is the administrator who created the database with everyones needs met, that has lost all ability to control. In my case, there isn't anyone in this building that knows Access and how to use it. They only know how to push a button (command button macro), enter data into the parameter prompt (already set by admin, me) and pull up the report they need, (predesigned by admin, me, to look just the way they want). I think this is the case in most instances. It is up to one person to create, manage and control, and the rest of the department only wants to be able to push a button and get what they want.

Am I close to retirement yet? Not close enough! :hairout:
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Let me correct a somewhat common misconception about Access 2010 and User Level Security. It isn't exactly gone from Access 2010, as long as you use the .mdb format for your database. The same was true for Access 2007. If you are using a custom workgroup file, and you either point to it as a part of your shortcut that starts the database, or you set the workgroup to your custom file (which you have to do in VBA). But if you give specific people permission to use a particular form, etc, that will still work with Access 2010. And if you are running code which uses CurrentUser() to determine whether a particular tab on a tab control, or a particular text box, etc. is visible that will also still work. We use that feature fairly regularly, especially with tabs. For further information on the subject, see this Introduction to Access 2010 security Microsoft help article, and then jump to the section titled "How security works with databases from earlier versions of Access opened in Access 2010."
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've a few small questions about Access 2010, although they're probably not bugs?

a) My mouse wheel doesn't work in Datasheet View, or it scrolls slightly if I move the mouse wheel very quickly.

b) Sometimes the 'Add New Field' column appears in Datasheet View and sometimes it doesn't. Why is this? And can I remove this column permanently rather than hiding it each time. (The Hide option doesn't always appear either.)

c) I've set a Data Macro to send an e-mail, but receive the following error in the application log: 'The e-mail could not be sent. Please ensure that your computer is configured to send and receive e-mail messages.'. It tries to use Windows Live and my Hotmail account which usually works fine.

d) Can additonal columns be added to the Application Log. It just stores a datestamp and long ID number - it doesn't store any record details. I know I can create my own log table and store stuff in there, but hoped to use the Application Log file.

Thanks for any input, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've sorted b) above. The option 'Add new field' can be disabled from the database Options, Current Database, by un-checking 'enable design changes for tables in datasheet view'. However, the database must be closed and re-opened to take effect.
While in datasheet view I can hide this column individually by right-clicking a column heading and choosing 'Unhide Fields' - weird :hairout:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

agibsonsw wrote:I've a few small questions about Access 2010, although they're probably not bugs?
d) Can additonal columns be added to the Application Log. It just stores a datestamp and long ID number - it doesn't store any record details. I know I can create my own log table and store stuff in there, but hoped to use the Application Log file.

Thanks for any input, Andy.
The USysApplicationLog table is created automatically the first time you hit an error in a Data Macro, or if you use the LogEvent data macro action. A general rule of thumb is never to modify system level tables, and that would be my advice as well. For one thing there isn't any mechanism to store additional information in the log. If you are needing that level of detail, then you really need to use forms code to provide useful information to the user. The application log is most useful in debugging data macros, and in certain data conflict situations, but you can't really inform the user about what has happened.
Wendell

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. I wondered if the ID number pointed somehow to the particular edited record?
But I could create a data macro to add a record to a table that I create anyway, so it's not a concern. Andy.

n52202
NewLounger

Post by n52202 »

I'm having a problem with a database created in Access 2003. When I run the macros in Access 2010, everything works. If I modify the macro that imports a text file though, I get the following error.

"The text file specification "#" does not exist. You cannot import, export or link using the specification." (# = a number, I have tried several import specifications but none of them work.)

The macros then stops and shows the Macro Single Step "Stop All Macros" dialog with error number 2950.

I get the same error if I create a new macro. This appears to be a Microsoft 2010 issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions? Is Microsoft going to fix this?

Thanks for any and all input.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Have you tried using Visual Basic instead of a macro? The line of code to import a delimited text file would look like this:

DoCmd.TransferText TransferType:=acImportDelim, SpecificationName:="My Specification", TableName:="tblImport", FileName:="C:\Text\Data.txt", HasFieldNames:=True

For a fixed-width text file, change acImportDelim to acImportFixed
Best wishes,
Hans

n52202
NewLounger

Post by n52202 »

I'm not a VBA person but I did get your suggestion to work. The issue is I need to keep databases consistant for easy maintenance. Having some databases using the import command and some using the VBA code will make it difficult for myself as well as others to maintain. I'm not even sure how many databases I have but I'm sure it is at least 100. I was hoping there was a way to fix the hidden tables or that Microsoft would fix this issue.

Thank you for your input HansV!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For the moment this appears to be a bug of the TransferText macro action in Access 2010. I don't know whether it will be solved in the upcoming SP1 for Office 2010. I assume you don't want to wait for that...
Best wishes,
Hans

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

I came across another little issue just now.
The "Add Existing Fields" list does not have a scroll bar. I want to add a few new fields to a form. The new fields are at the bottom of the list, so they are off the screen, and there does not seem to be any way to get to them.
I don't use this often, but I thought it would be useful in this case.
Regards

John

n52202
NewLounger

Post by n52202 »

Hans - Any idea when SP1 for Office 2010 will be issued? I have a couple of months to wait so it may be worth waiting it out.

Thanks for all your help

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi,
I'm having a problem with a database created in Access 2003. When I run the macros in Access 2010, everything works. If I modify the macro that imports a text file though, I get the following error.

"The text file specification "#" does not exist. You cannot import, export or link using the specification." (# = a number, I have tried several import specifications but none of them work.)
Would it be possible for you to upload a small sample file demonstrating this issue? I would like to try this out on my machines. Are you using 32 bit or 64 version of Access 2010? What operating system are using and is the operating system 32 bit or 64 bit?

It would be best if you could upload just the elements necessary to repro the issue; whatever table(s), macro(s), import files, etc. If there is sensitive data, it would be best to remove and just put in some dummy data.

Thanks,
--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,
JohnH wrote:The "Add Existing Fields" list does not have a scroll bar. I want to add a few new fields to a form. The new fields are at the bottom of the list, so they are off the screen, and there does not seem to be any way to get to them.
I don't use this often, but I thought it would be useful in this case.
I'm not able to repro this on my machines. I created a table with 100 fields and when I open the Add Existing Fields pane, I see a scroll bar showing all the fields for the form.

See attached screenshot.
Screenshot.png
Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Thanks Jeff for your screen shot of Add Existing Fields. You certainly do have a scroll bar.

This is what I see.
AddExtraFields.gif
I just repeated with a new test db, with some dummy fields and the same thing happened (with both mdb and accdb formats)

Added a bit later.
It seems to be screen resolution related. When I increase the resolution to 1280 x 104, the scroll bar does appear and it all works OK.
At lower resolutions it goes away again. For this job I am using 1024 x 768 as the users of this db have some smaller monitors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

John

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Hi John,
I've seen similar behavior with the Add Fields (and I believe the Properties dialog) when they are undocked and I am running at lower resolutions. If you redock them, then you get the scroll bar. I normally work in the tabbed documents view as I find it easier to use the tabs to jump from open object to open object, so I keep the Properties/Add Fields dialog docked on the right side (I normally work at 1920x1200 or 1680x1050). But if I drop down to 1024x768 with the dialog undocked, I get the same behavior in both 2010 and 2007.
Wendell

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

n52202 wrote:Any idea when SP1 for Office 2010 will be issued? I have a couple of months to wait so it may be worth waiting it out.
Sorry, no. It's public knowledge that SP1 is being beta-tested at the moment, but I don't know for which date the release is planned.
Best wishes,
Hans

n52202
NewLounger

Post by n52202 »

Jeff

Would it be possible for you to upload a small sample file demonstrating this issue? I would like to try this out on my machines. Are you using 32 bit or 64 version of Access 2010? What operating system are using and is the operating system 32 bit or 64 bit?
Here is a quick example. I've also noticed if you build the macro in Access 2010 it doesn't work either.

I have a 32 bit Version of Access 2010 and a 32 bit operating system.

Thank you for looking at this.
Sandy
Last edited by n52202 on 12 Jan 2011, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.