Access 2010 Bugs

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Re: Access 2010 Bugs

Post by AccessJunkie »

StuartR wrote:Welcome to the lounge from me too. Feel free to drop in any time, your contributions are most welcome.
Thanks for the welcome Stuart.

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,

On the Spacing command issues you are seeing in Access 2010, are you only seeing these issues with controls placed on tab controls? Do you see the same problems with controls not placed on tab controls?

--------------------

Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
If you select all the controls on a form using Ctl-A, then choose the Remove button on the Control Layout group,
you can then arrange and size the controls independently.
Andy.
Sorry, this is for 2007. In 2010 it's on the Arrange tab, Table group and Remove Layout. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Thanks Jeff
AccessJunkie wrote: On the Spacing command issues you are seeing in Access 2010, are you only seeing these issues with controls placed on tab controls? Do you see the same problems with controls not placed on tab controls?
Yes... All the examples I had tried were with Controls within a Tab Control. I have just tried it again without a Tab Control, and these commands worked as expected.
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for this suggestion, but there is something else going on in 2010
agibsonsw wrote:Hello.
If you select all the controls on a form using Ctl-A, then choose the Remove button on the Control Layout group,
you can then arrange and size the controls independently.
Andy.
Sorry, this is for 2007. In 2010 it's on the Arrange tab, Table group and Remove Layout. Andy.
I always remove all controls from the Layout for every form I ever create.
Regards

John

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,
JohnH wrote:Yes... All the examples I had tried were with Controls within a Tab Control. I have just tried it again without a Tab Control, and these commands worked as expected.
Yes, this is a known issue already entered into our system. The problem is isolated to tab controls. When you click those specific spacing options for a group of controls on a tab control in Access 2010, nothing happens.

--------------------

----------
----------

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Page Break After Section

In 2007 Page Break After Section Footer does not result in a blank page at the end.

2010 seems to put one in.
I have invoices where I want each one on a separate page, but if I print just one I get a second blank page with just the page header.
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Toolbox

This is trivial I suppose, but I notice that the right-click shortcut menu within Report Design contains a permanently greyed-out item for Toolbox.
I thought the Toolbox went out with Access 2003.
Toolbox.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

John

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,
In 2007 Page Break After Section Footer does not result in a blank page at the end.

2010 seems to put one in.
I have invoices where I want each one on a separate page, but if I print just one I get a second blank page with just the page header.
Is there any way you could upload a small cut-down database sample that shows the issue on the report? Make sure to put dummy data in please. I'd like to check this on my machines with your sample file.

Thanks,

--------------------

----------
----------

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,
This is trivial I suppose, but I notice that the right-click shortcut menu within Report Design contains a permanently greyed-out item for Toolbox.
I thought the Toolbox went out with Access 2003.
Yes, this is a holdover from previous versions. That option is also shown with Access 2007 as well, but it can't seem to ever be enabled either.

--------------------

----------
----------

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

AccessJunkie wrote:Hi John,
Is there any way you could upload a small cut-down database sample that shows the issue on the report? Make sure to put dummy data in please.
Thanks The Invoice report is part of a very large project, but I will try to create a simple example and post that shortly.
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Here is a simple example of an Invoice report with a page break after each Invoice.
If I open this in Access 2007, and preview an individual invoice it is confined to one page.
In 2010, I get an extra blank page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

John

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,

Thank you for the sample; this is very helpful.

I do indeed see the difference of behavior between 2007 and 2010 with this report property setting on my machines. I will check to see if this is a known issue in our system. If this is not already known, I'll make sure to enter it into the system.

In the meantime, if you change the "Force New Page" property on the InvoiceID Footer (GroupFooter1) to None, the report will just show the one page. That is of course assuming you are opening the report from that form to only show one record. It won't of course solve the issue if you open the directly from the Navigation Pane to show all records.

Thanks again for reporting this change of behavior.

--------------------

----------
----------

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

In the meantime, if you change the "Force New Page" property on the InvoiceID Footer (GroupFooter1) to None, the report will just show the one page.
In the 'real' case of Invoices that is what I have done, but in general there are cases where I want to print more than one page of a report and keep the page breaks. I do things like print all the invoices created on a specific date, all the invoices for a specific customer etc.

If you remove the "Force New Page" and instead put a Page Break into the report at the end of the page footer you could try hiding it when it is not needed.
This works for simple cases (but sometimes Access gets the pages property wrong for reports).

Code: Select all

If Me.Page = Me.Pages - 1 Then
Me.PageBreak22.Visible = False
Else
Me.PageBreak22.Visible = True
End If
Regards

John

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

I have yet to see Access 2010 other then the BETA. I will be teaching it however come the New Year. I have a question I hope someone who is using it can clarify.

In Access 2003 I used the bdisablebypass code and an admin code (to get into design view) to lock the database down. I created my own menus and popup menu (and placed on them only what I wanted the user to access).
I then placed those into the startup, and turned off all the default options so users could not access any part of the design of the database. (Just me with my admin control button on the main startup form)
The startup form I made was from scratch (not a main switchboard), I liked it better this way.

In Access 2007, unless you know XML quite well, you can't make your own ribbons and popups. I have actually followed Microsofts directives and made my own ribbons and placed them into the startup, however in a 20 hour class, I don't have time to teach students how to use Access, plus teach them XML, (which I only bumbled thru to begin with following MSFTS directives).

I know using the Main switchboard feature (instead of from scratch) and placing that into the startup allows a modified version of the ribbon to appear, (but that is things that Microsoft says should be on it, I want what I want on it)...Personally I think of Access 2007 as the step between what was great (2003), and what is supposed to be better (2010), much like Windows ME was. It was a way to force users to publish their lists to a SharePoint server just to have some semblance of security. I may be all wrong, but this is what I have run up against. I teach individuals on government posts, and security is a MAIN issue, and placing a split database on a server (be and fe) is the norm.

In Access 2010, I understand I will be able create my own ribbons again without knowing XML with a simple drag drop. Correct? Will I be able to place my custom ribbon into the startup? Will I again be able to use by bdisablebypass code and my admin control button to return to my design view when I need to (as Admin)? Will I be able to lock all users out without assigning a generic password (everyone uses) to the database as 2007 insists.

There is just a lot I'm still unclear about.

Thanks for the feedback...
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, Access 2010 is only slightly less disastrous than 2007. Yes, you can customize the ribbon in the interface, but the customizations are application-wide and stored in the user's AppData folder, not in the database.

See Deploying a Customized Ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar in Office 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Hans,

Quote from the link you gave:

"You can add the updated XML to a single program file by modifying the Microsoft Office Open XML file. This is completed by opening the file as a Zip package, inserting a part that contains the XML, and then updating the relationship part so that it is recognized as part of the package.

You can also add the updated XML to the Office 2010 application so that the customized UI is available in any file opened in the application. You can do this by creating a COM add-in that loads when the application starts."

Just from this quote it would seem that in 2007 you can modify any "file", as well as the "application as a whole" as you mentioned. I will continue reading more articles, but from that statement on the page it has already confused me.

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

True (that's why I added the link), but then it's back to editing the XML files again, instead of customizing in the interface, which was relatively easy in Access 2003 and before.
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

ARGH!!! 2010 is no better then 2007! Why did they do this? Access "used" to be the safest environment for confidential data, and it seems with every new version they make it less secure then it was before unless your a bonified programmer (which I am not, nor 98% of my students).

Any thoughts on quickly securing a database down in 2007 and 2010 other then with a universal password (not everyone in a unit or dept should have access to everything), or publishing as lists to a SharePoint server?

Oh, how I loved my 2003 database.

Nannette

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think the real reason for scrapping user-level security is that Microsoft wants us to use Access only as a frontend for data that live elsewhere.
Best wishes,
Hans