Access 2010 Bugs

Mark L
3StarLounger

Access 2010 Bugs

Post by Mark L »

I'm starting a new thread so we can record any bugs found in Access 2010. So far we've found 2:

#1: As already reported, if you have an unbound textbox with a Default Value, you can't set the textbox to Null. Access 2010 fills it with the Default Value instead.

#2: If you have a tab control with no tabs, you can move from page to page by clicking where the tabs would be!
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

JohnH
3StarLounger

Re: Access 2010 Bugs

Post by JohnH »

#2: If you have a tab control with no tabs, you can move from page to page by clicking where the tabs would be!
I could not replicate this, using an mdb under 2010. Tried with two different tab controls on different forms.
Regards

John

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

JohnH wrote:
I could not replicate this, using an mdb under 2010. Tried with two different tab controls on different forms.
Create a tab control, and Note the position of the 2 tabs. Then change the Style property to "None". Now click where the tabs used to be.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Yes I understood what you were saying, but clicking where the tabs used to be did not do anything for me.
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Here is another.
#3 Expression Builder seems to give up with nested subforms.
Here is what I see at one level. All OK here.
ExpressionBuilder1.gif
When I try to go down a level, it gives up.
ExpressionBuilder2.gif
Here is a view of the same thing in 2007
ExpressionBuilder3.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Just to check that the limitations of Expression Builder in 2010 was not related to the specific db I was using, I built a little test db with People, Houses, Rooms and Furniture.
In 2007 in can get down to the Furniture.
expressionbuilder5.gif
But in 2010 I can't can't get past the Rooms.
ExpressionBuilder6.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

John

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Are there too many bugs in 2010? I was under the impression that 2010 is what 2007 should have been?
I've only had Office 2010 for a short while but am under the impression that it is a little more responsive.
What are peoples' impressions of 2007 compared to 2010? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The first release of a new version always introduces new bugs. Many (but not all) will be squashed in the first service pack.
Best wishes,
Hans

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

HansV wrote:The first release of a new version always introduces new bugs. Many (but not all) will be squashed in the first service pack.
I'm hoping there will be Hot Fixes for the more serious ones.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting these issues. The tab control issue was a new one on me; I had not heard of this issue before and I had a hard time trying to repro the issue. I was finally able to repro your issue after a lot of trial and error. For me, I could only see this issue by clicking right near the top of the tab control itself. Clicking where the tabs used to be had no effect which is why it took longer for me to repro the issue. I also observed this only happens when you have the Use Theme property set to True for the tab control. If you use the "old" style I could not see the issue.

In any event, I will make sure all of these issues are logged into our system if they are not already accounted for.

Thanks again,

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

Thanks Jeff.

That tab control thing was more of an oddity than a real problem. However, that problem with controls with default values on unbound forms is a real pain. I hope it can be solved.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

It seems that the tab control problem only occurs with accdb file format.
With mdb format, tab controls don't have a 'use theme" property.
Regards

John

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Hi John,

Yes, you are correct. The Use Theme property is new to tab controls in Access 2010 and specific to ACCDB files. You won't get all the new formatting options for tab controls with MDB files in Access 2010 as you can with ACCDB files. So the issue Mark points out won't be seen with tab controls in MDB files.

--------------------

Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

Hi Jeff, another big gun joins The Lounge
Welcome!!! :clapping:
Great demo you gave of a restaurant management Access Services database

AccessJunkie
NewLounger

Post by AccessJunkie »

Thanks for the welcome and the nice feedback on my Access Services demo.

Hope it's Ok to drop in from time to time. I heard this place had free cookies, but I thought it was the kind you could eat. :smile:

--------------------

----------
----------

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

AccessJunkie wrote:...Hope it's Ok to drop in from time to time...
Welcome to the lounge from me too. Feel free to drop in any time, your contributions are most welcome.
StuartR

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

AccessJunkie wrote:I heard this place had free cookies, but I thought it was the kind you could eat. :smile:
I wonder where you heard that from :coffeetime: :munch: :yum: :wine: :chef:

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

I still haven't started using 2010 but I suppose this bug carries over to it.
On the startup form of the attached mdbs, select "Portata Povo" then, on the calendar, select 1 September 2009, click on the button that says, "set start date", on the calendar select 30 September 2009 and click on the button that says, "set end date" and click the Chart button. Why does the pivot chart show in one file but not in the other one? Might be useful to point out the table in the one that doesn't work has been created from data originally in SQL Server.

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

Spacing Commands

I find that the commands on Arrange tab that control spacing of controls on a form just don't work.
Nothing happens at all when I use them (and I am in the habit of using them a lot.)
Anyone else have the same experience?
spacing.gif
Regards

John

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

I have just used the Spacing Commands on a report, and they worked as expected, but I still can't get them to work with a form.
Regards

John