Combi Chart in 2007

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Combi Chart in 2007

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Access 2007.
For a particular ProjectID I have Costs over a four month period as well as Forecast costs.
Is it possible to create a combi-chart based on these values (and their cumulative figures)?
That is, I would like to use a clustered column chart for the original figures and at the
same time lines for the cumulative figures.
Should I add a Chart object to a form or use a Pivot Chart? I suppose I need to use a
PivotChart in order to work with cumulative figures?
Thanks in advance for any guidance. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Combi Chart in 2007

Post by HansV »

You could use a pivot chart but I can't help you with that - I thoroughly dislike the implementation of pivot tables and pivot charts in Access.

You could create a pivot table and pivot chart in Excel based on an Access table or query. I find the Excel versions much easier to work with than their Access counterparts.

Another possibility is to create a query in Access (perhaps a crosstab query) that returns the data you need, and use this as row source for a chart object on a form. This has the advantage of keeping it entirely within Access, but it could be more complicated to set up.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello, and thank you.
I agree - Access Pivot tools are v bad.
I managed to create the chart I need as a chart object on a form, but I'm currently
manually entering the cumulative figures.
Is it possible to create cumulative columns in a query? Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, there are ways to calculate cumulative figures in a query, but how exactly depends on the structure of the data.
You could use something like this (it's "air code", of course):

CumulativeTotal: DSum("FieldName", "TableOrQuery", "MonthDate<=#" & Format([MonthDate], "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#")
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Can't quite get this to work.. Should I be trying to do this in a Totals query (using 'Expression')
or in a simple select query?
More info: I have a table with fields ProjID, ProjMonth (which are just numbers 1 through 4),
Actual and Forecast.
Ta again, And.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Could you attach a small sample database (compacted and zipped)?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Attached.
I referred to a field called Actual, but this is named FIF.
I think I need to create a Totals query, and then perhaps a second query
based on this that uses DSUM()?
Ta, Andy.

Hey, no worries!
I got it to work using a Totals query and then a second query using the expression:
DSum("FIF","tblProjectCosts","ProjID=" & [ProjID] & " AND ProjMonth<=" & [ProjMonth])
It displays as a text field, but I set the format of this calculated field to 0 to treat
it as a number.
Thanks for your assistance, Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the attached version. I created a select query qryProjectCosts that uses DSum to calculate the cumulative totals, and used this query in the row source of the chart. There's no totals query involved.
Project1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans