Subform Help

Stew
StarLounger

Subform Help

Post by Stew »

I am having issues with a subform that I have. Currently when it loads, it is a blank white screen in form view. This was working less than a hour ago. I broke it some how when I was trying to add to one of the tabs in subfrmCompanyOffice. I am trying to add a subform into the dependent tab so the user can add the dependent information. I want this to be a continous form. After trying to put this in my subform broke and I can't figure out how to get it working again. Also I was wondering if you could help me with my problem of getting the continous form to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Subform Help

Post by HansV »

You have added tblDependents to qryCompanyOffice, but this table has no records. Therefore qryCompanyOffice won't return any records.
Did you have a particular reason for adding tblDependents? It is not needed in qryCompanyOffice.

You have locked the text box txtLast, so that the user can't enter anything in it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Stew
StarLounger

Post by Stew »

tblDependents is needed to store all dependent info. I was trying to make subfrmCompanyOffice do this in the tab Dependents. I tried to use the qryCompanyOffice to do this since the subform was calling on it.

the txtLast is locked until the correct password is inputted. The onclick for Verify button does this.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You need tblDependents for subfrmDependent, not for subfrmCompanyOffice. Does the attached version go into the right direction?
SubformHelp.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Stew
StarLounger

Post by Stew »

That is what I was trying to obtain. So the query trying to call on an empty table with no linked data was causing the problem?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yep. Because of that link to an empty table, the query returned no records, so subfrmCompanyOffice remained blank.
Best wishes,
Hans

Stew
StarLounger

Post by Stew »

Thanks alot Hans. That is a valuable piece of information that I didn't know.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In general, if you create a query to act as record source for a form, you should not include tables in the query that are needed for a subform of that form. "To each his own"...
Best wishes,
Hans

Stew
StarLounger

Post by Stew »

While generating a report for dependents I found something out, my subform isn't linking the dependents to a person. I checked it back and forth to yours and I can't find a difference. The relationships look right. I have attached what I am working with.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have omitted the SSN field from qryCompanyOffice, the record source of subfrmCompanyOffice, and hence you cannot link subfrmDependents to subfrmCompanyOffice.

1. Add the SSN field to qryCompanyOffice.
2. Link subfrmDependents to subfrmCompanyOffice on Marine vs SSN.
x279.png
Best wishes,
Hans