Save to New Row

adam
SilverLounger

Save to New Row

Post by adam »

Hi,

I'm having a Access user form where I have embedded a save button. The save button adds the first record to the first row the data sheet from where the form was created. But when I enter a second customer Information, The button adds it to the same row instead of a new row.

I've set the primary key as text Which Is the Customer ID.

The customer ID format that I'm trying to use is as C 123456 and so on.

How could I overcome this?
Best Regards,
Adam

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Save to New Row

Post by Wendell »

I'm afraid we need more information to help you - this appears to be your first post in this forum, so we don't have any background on your application. It would be best if you could attach a simplified and sanitized version of your Access database to a post so we could see the code behind the form as well as the table structure. As a general comment, Access forms don't typically need a Save button unless the form is unbound, or unless you have modified the tab order property of the form so it doesn't go to a new record after the last data element has been entered.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

To detail my question furthermore, I would like to mention that I do assign Unique Customer ID’s for each customer but in different formats.

Some would have A 123456 Others WV 134567 and some as H 125468.
The numbers are assigned depending on the insurance card number they provide during registration.

If this is the situation would the data get added to individual rows with the save button?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft Access works a bit differently than other applications - it'd be useful to follow a course in database design using Access, or study a book.

As Wendell wrote, there is no need for a "Save" button. Access will save the record automatically when you move to another record or close the form.

You should make the navigation buttons visible, or provide a "New Record" button. When the user has finished entering the data for a customer, they can go to a new record. The screenshot below shows the New (blank) record button in the navigation buttons.
x261.jpg
Another option would be to set the Data Entry property of the form to Yes. It can then only be used to enter new records, not to view or edit existing records. Each time the user opens the form, it will display a blank new record.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the reply. Hans. Like you've pointed out, Microsoft Access works a bit differently than other applications.

So I though it'd be useful to know what I have done wrong in my user form that is preventing me to add data to unique rows.

With your reply, now I've cleared the matter that it'd be useful to follow a course in database design using Access, or study a book.
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

By the way, the problem in Post 24137 is solved. But why doesn't the formula put the age in the column "Age" of the data sheet when it puts calculated age in the text box "Age"?
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A calculated control doesn't store its value in a field.

You don't need the field Age in the Customers table. One of the "rules" for good database design is that you should not store calculated values in a table, since it is derived information. It is superfluous to store derived information.

(There is an exception to this: if the calculations become to slow, it may be better to store their result, but this only happens with extremely large tables and/or very complicated calculations)
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

What might be the alternative for this? as age is important in this situation.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could create a query based on the table, with Age as a calculated column. Use the query as record source for the form.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Based upon your reply, I've created a query from the Customers table and a form from the query table.

My question of concern is how could I make the age appear as;

Let's say, for example if the date is 17/1/1999, I want the age to be as 11 years.
if the date is 17/1/1999, I want the age to be as 6 Months.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's say, for example if the date is 17/1/1999, I want the age to be as 11 years.
if the date is 17/1/1999, I want the age to be as 6 Months.
Huh?
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Sorry it was a mistake. The second date would be as 17/1/2010. which means the age should be as 6 Months.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the attached version. I modified both the module with the code and the query.

Note: it is a good idea to compact a database before zipping and attaching it. To do so, click the Office button, then click Manage > Compact and Repair Database. This will reduce the size of the database significantly, especially if you have edited it.
DateQuery.zip
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the help Hans. I'll follow what you've said when attaching the database sheets.

Meanwhile,I've missed out one more line. That is to make the age even appear as days.
For example, if date of birth is 31/7/2010 then the age would be as 2days. How will I achieve this?

When the first number or any number is written in the date of birth text box, the age column shows 0 until the complete date is written. How could this be changed so that the age appears after the tab button when the user writes date in the date of birth text box.
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Once again, see the attached file. This time, only the code module has been changed.
DateQuery.zip
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the help, Hans. The sample works magnificent.

But why doesn't the following code embedded behind a command button clear all the data from the active form?

Code: Select all

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
Dim ctl As Control
For Each ctl In Me.Controls
Select Case ctl.ControlType
Case acTextBox, acComboBox, acListBox, acCheckBox
If ctl.ControlSource = "" Then
ctl.Value = Null
End If
Case Else
End Select
Next ctl
End Sub
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Because of the line

the code will only clear unbound controls (controls that do not display a field from the table/query).

Why do you want to clear all controls?
Last edited by HansV on 03 Aug 2010, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to correct mistake
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

My intention is to clear the misspelled fields.

Lets say for example If I write the Customer Name As Adman Instead of Adam or less and after entering all the fields if I discover the data has been already entered I want to clear all the fields and start typing with new data.

So, do you mean to make the code work, I have to add the line Application.CutCopyMode = False ?
Best Regards,
Adam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry Adam, I pasted the wrong line into my previous reply. Instead of

Application.CutCopyMode = False

it should have been

Try removing that line and the corresponding End If. You don't need the line

Case Else

either, since there is nothing between Case Else and End Select.
Best wishes,
Hans

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Thanks for the help Hans.
Best Regards,
Adam