Menu puzzle

Sgte
2StarLounger

Menu puzzle

Post by Sgte »

I have created a menu template "FrmMenu" with 12 command buttons on it. Each button triggers a macro that opens the relevant menu item next. The trouble with this is that in navigating from one menu to another, or back again, the menu form I have just left remains open. Is there a way to close the form I have just left - without having to write 12 macros for each of the menu forms please?

Stew
StarLounger

Re: Menu puzzle

Post by Stew »

I'm not sure how to code it in SQL. However if you are using the macro wizard to make our macros. One of the commands is close object. Just choose form as object type, the choose frmMenu. Just make sure you make a button to return to the Menu.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Using 12 menu forms is rather inefficient. Why don't you use the Switchboard Manager? It creates a single form that lets you switch between an unlimited number of switchboard pages.

If you don't like the default layout of the switchboard, you can easily customize it - once the switchboard form has been created, the Switchboard Manager doesn't modify it any more, everything is done through the Switchboard Items table.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi Hans, thanks for your advice - the problem I did have with Switchboard Manager was that it will only hold 8 items per page. Therefore 7 items + 1 link to menu 2 or sub-menus. Ok so I have used it in the past, the trouble is that I cannot get the switchboard manager to run; probably because in the past I have deleted that table. Is there any way to re-instate it?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you have deleted the Switchboard Items table, you should also delete the Switchboard form, or rename it. If you then run the Switchboard Manager, it will create a new table and form.

Each of the 8 buttons on the first page of the switchboard could lead to a submenu, if you like.

It is possible to tweak the switchboard to accomodate more than 8 buttons per page, but then you'd have to maintain the Switchboard Items table yourself, the Switchboard Manager doesn't "see" the extra buttons. But in general, I have found 8 buttons to be sufficient.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

When I run the switchboard manager it brings up a lot of menus - none of which seem to be listed in any form. Really weird and there isn't a table of switchboard items. So should I delete these items and start afresh?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If there is no Switchboard Items table, Switchboard Manager should come up with only a Main Switchboard:
x257.jpg
Could the Switchboard Items table be hidden?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

I actually don't know how to hide / unhide a table....

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hans, I have found a switchboard table. Now I'll delete it.

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Now that i't gone, I have been able to create a new swithboard using the manger - thanks to all for the help and direction

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great! Keep in mind that if you find the default design too dull, you can change the colours, move the controls around, use a different font etc., just as long as you don't delete or rename the 8 buttons and the associated labels.
Best wishes,
Hans