Numeric field overflow Error

kwvh
3StarLounger

Numeric field overflow Error

Post by kwvh »

Strange and unusual behaviour of a linked Excel file.

I have an application in Access 2003. The database is linked to an Excel spreadsheet. I have a query that appends records from the Excel Spreadsheet to an Access table. So far so good. In order to test the query for future use, I replace the Excel spreadsheet. The replacement is a copy of the one that resides in the working directory. Now when I run the append query, I get an error, "Numeric field overflow error". WITW?

I can view the spreadsheet in the Access application. I can open the query in design view and see all the records from the spreadsheet that are to be appended, yet when I run the query, I get the error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: Numeric field overflow Error

Post by HansV »

Does "Numeric Field Overflow" error message occurs when you query a table that is linked to Excel spreadsheet shed any light? Look carefully at the data type of each field in the linked Excel table and of the corresponding field in the target table of the append query.
Best wishes,
Hans

kwvh
3StarLounger

Re: Numeric field overflow Error

Post by kwvh »

Hans,

Thanks for your quick response. In the interim I tried something different. The append query had four text fields being appended to the Access table from the spreadsheet. For each of the four fields I "trimmed" the field to be appended (e.g. Trim([SpreadsheetFieldName]) ) and it works fine. I will also check out the link as well.

THANKS for your help.

Ken