Scroll Bars and Text Import - Access 2016

JohnH
3StarLounger

Scroll Bars and Text Import - Access 2016

Post by JohnH »

The latest update to Access 2016 has broken Scroll Bars in forms . You can drag the bar up/down and the Record x of y popup appears , but the displayed records do not scroll. The arrows at the top and bottom still work.
https://www.devhut.net/bugs/access-2016 ... esnt-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few weeks ago I went to do some Text Imports and found that the familiar Text Import Wizard was gone - replaced by a new streamlined version. I hunted around and found a way to restore the "legacy" wizards so I was happy. They appeared as separate Menu items.

Yesterday I went to do another import and found that the Legacy Menu Items had disappeared again. I spent ages trying to find out (unsuccessfully) how to get them back again. Then I noticed that Microsoft seems to have just restored the old Import wizards so there is no longer any need for separate menu items.

This is another case of Microsoft changing something that was not broken. At least they have now put it back like it used to be.

PS - This is my first post for quite a while. A few years ago I went travelling for a few months and when I got back I just did not resume doing everything I did before I went away.
Regards

John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Scroll Bars and Text Import - Access 2016

Post by HansV »

Welcome back, John!

The situation with Access 2016 is confusing, since there are three versions:
- The click-to-run version in Office 365; it gets updated frequently and has some new features that aren't available in the other versions.
- A click-to-run version not in Office 365; it gets updated at the same time as the Office 365 version, and it shares bugs with the Office 365 version but not the new features.
- The installer (.msi) version; it gets updated with the monthly Microsoft updates; it has a different set of bugs, and none of the new features.

In the click-to-run versions, for example, controls such as the treeview and listview controls are currently broken (a fix should come soon), but scroll bars work OK as far as I can tell.
Best wishes,
Hans

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

My experience comes from the version that is part of Office 365. I assume that is click-to-run, but I am not familiar with that phrase.

I first observed it with a client where 1 computer had done an Office update before the others. Then the other computers started the same behaviour, then I realised that mine was too. All these were using Office 365, and were updated on 20/8 or 21/8.
Regards

John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

From Microsoft:
Click-to-Run is a Microsoft streaming and virtualization technology that reduces the time that is required to install Office and helps you run multiple versions of Office on the same computer. The streaming technology enables you to download and begin to use an Office product before the whole product is installed on your computer. The virtualization technology provides an isolated environment for Office to run on your computer. This isolated environment allows you to run the latest version of Office side-by-side with an earlier version of Office that is already installed on your computer.
Office 365 uses Click-to-Run to install and update the Office applications.

I also have a Click-to-Run version of Office 2016, but not the Office 365 version, so the applications are not the same...
Best wishes,
Hans

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

I realised today that what i wrote in the first post of this thread about importing text files into Access was just wrong, based on inaccurate memory.

A few weeks ago, I was exporting text files from Access that others would need to open Excel. So I was importing them into Excel to check them. It was Excel that had removed the familiar Text import wizard, but provided a way to restore the old wizard as a legacy wizard. The legacy wizards are still there.

As far as I know, Access has not made any changes to the importing of text files.
Regards

John