how do I remove security from a database?

diana
3StarLounger

how do I remove security from a database?

Post by diana »

Ive inherited alot of MS-Access databases.

We're on MS-Access 2007.

On one particular database, security is setup to access the db as users and groups permissions.
staff come and go. and now no-one can open the ms-access database.
and the users are wanting to do their work in this db :scratch:

questions:
1. it is safe for me to remove the security. Is there a way I can remove the security on this database?
2. ive opened up Security.mdw and this displays the security groups and users. how can i add to this?

When I open up the secure db, it places a temp security file in the profile location
C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw
Ive tried to delete this file and move the db, but i still get a permissions error messgae.

see attachment

I dont know much about microsoft access, so do you need any more information from me about the db's to assist?

many thanks

diana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: how do I remove security from a database?

Post by HansV »

You can't just edit Security.mdw.

You will need to have a valid administrator username and password to get into the database and to remove security. Surely the developer has left those in a safe place?

If you don't have such a username and password, you'll have to search the internet for services that offer to remove user-level security. I have no experience with any and I don't know how dependable they are.

See Set or change Access 2003 user-level security in Access 2007 and Security Considerations and Guidance for Access 2007 for more info on user-level security (and removing it) in Access 2007.
Best wishes,
Hans