Share a database

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Re: Share a database

Post by BittenApple »

Hello Hans,
If I do this on the form, on my own computer, will this take care of my coworker case who doesn't have access to the folder where backend of the database is located.

What does UNC stand for?

UNC Path + filename: Do you mean the folder name where the backend database is located?

Thanks for all your support.
BittenApple

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If your coworker doesn't have access at all to the folder that contains the backend, he or she won't be able to use your database.

If he or she does have access, but with a different drive letter, using the UNC path instead of a path with a drive letter should solve the problem.

UNC stands for Uniform Naming Convention. See Path (computing) for more info.

After you have modified the frontend database to link to the backend database with a UNC path instead of a path with a drive letter, you should give this user (and preferably all users) a copy of this frontend database. It should replace the copy they currently have. The user should then be able to use the database even if the path to the backend computer has a different drive letter on his/her computer than on your computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Hello Hans,
How to obtain UNC Path?
Regards,
BittenApple

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You may be able to see it in Windows Explorer/File Explorer. Otherwise ask your IT department.
Best wishes,
Hans

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Hello Hans,
The instruction went well and I succeeded. I can't project about future, but so far so good.
Thank you ssssooo very much!
BittenApple

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Hello HansV and CData,
My first project went well and no problem was seen after that.

Now on the second project:
From Post=172465
CData

2. OS/directory/folder: for this one can use a common sense sanity check....when sitting at a user's PC - - open the folder where the back end Access file is located - - add or edit a Word doc or Excel doc; if it won't let you do that then your permissions need to be changed....

This time around, I was given access to a subfolder in which I am going to insert database backend, I don't have permission to the root this subfolder or drive on the network. Will this create any problem when I want to split the database?

Regards,
BittenApple

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Neither you, nor your users need to have permission to create, edit and delete files in the root, just in the subfolder itself.
Best wishes,
Hans