Footnotes

Sundog
5StarLounger

Footnotes

Post by Sundog »

I am creating an Access data entry form to populate a database. Many of the records require source info, like a footnote/endnote in Word.

I plan to have a text field in each record to capture this reference info; some sources may have data there; some may not; and some data may not be entered sequentially (That is, as the user fills in the form, records 2, 9, and 21 may have a "footnote." Later, more data entry is done, and a footnote is added to record 13.)

Is there a way to autonumber these text fields, the way Word does, so insertion between "footnotes" causes a renumbering? :scratch: The end product of this effort will be a report that looks, to the extent possible, like a Word document, with endnote numbers corresponding to reference numbers for records in the text.

Lastly, would Access 2007 be favored over Access 2003 to accomplish this effort?

Any hints, tips, or pointers welcome.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Footnotes

Post by HansV »

This is best done in calculated column in a query based on the table or in the control source of a calculated text box on a form/report bound to the table, so that it will be calculated dynamically.

Let's say that the table is named tblData, the text field is named strNotes, and the table has an AutoNumber primary key ID.

In a query based on tblData, add a calculated column

NoteNr: IIf(IsNull([strNotes]),Null,DCount("strNotes","tblData","ID<=" & [ID]))

You can then use the query as record source for a form or report.

If you prefer to use the table itself as record source, you can place a text box on the form or report with control source

=IIf(IsNull([strNotes]),Null,DCount("strNotes","tblData","ID<=" & [ID]))
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Hans, thank you for your detailed reply :cheers: . That looks like what I need. When I get to actually coding the beast, I may well return for more help; this info is great. (Once I get it to work, what's the address to send you a bottle of my wife's favorite: Pilsner Urquell; or mine, Blue Moon?)
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sundog wrote:(Once I get it to work, what's the address to send you a bottle of my wife's favorite: Pilsner Urquell; or mine, Blue Moon?)
You can upload it through BTP*

* Beer Transfer Protocol :wink:
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Sorry - we have an export embargo on http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/ BTP from Colorado - you have to join first!
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

How sad - I have to select a valid state in order to enter - "NL" is not accepted... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Try CO - you'll be accepted then. It's corporate located in Golden, CO which is just down the mountain from Evergreen. (Sorry about hijacking the thread.)
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Wendell wrote:(Sorry about hijacking the thread.)
Not to worry, any news about Blue Moon is good news. In fact, I believe I'll have a bottle tonight just to celebrate the hijack.
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

And to continue the hijacking, let's all raise a toast to Spenser :cheers: , who was known to quaff a Blue Moon now and then. So long Robert B. Parker, died January 18 at age 77. :sad:
Sundog