Access report sent to word doesn't include graph

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Access report sent to word doesn't include graph

Post by Leesha »

Hi,

I have an Access report that contains a lot of formatting including a graph. When I send it to work, the formatting doesn't go with it nor does the graphy. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access report sent to word doesn't include graph

Post by HansV »

Exporting reports has always been one of the weakest features in Access; exporting to Word, Excel and HTML loses most of the formatting and all graphical elements such as lines, images and charts.
The only two formats that faithfully preserve the look of an Access report are snapshot format (.snp) and PDF format (.pdf). Conversion to PDF is built into Access 2007 SP2 or later, for earlier versions you need either a PDF printer, or Stephen Lebans' free ReportToPDF code.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Hi Hans,

That is so disappointing. The report that I need to export contains charts and tables for an annual report that the user then needs to write descriptive information for. So, pdf and snp won't work. I have tried S. Leban's code for other things and it works great.

Thanks,
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The user could make screenshots of the charts and tables in Access, and paste them into a Word document.

If you export to PDF: most PDF readers such as Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader let you select elements of the page and copy them to the clipboard, ready to be pasted into another application such as Word.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

I'll keep this in mind however I'm sure the users (myself included) will grumble that its too labor intensive. What I came up with for a workaround was to create a sepearate table that has fields set to memo for each of the areas that may or may not require a summary. The user is then able to add their summary via a form and it is then included in the report. I found that setting up each memo section as a separate subreport within the parent report worked best for the formatting. It's a lot of work to set up initially, but I think in the long run will be easier.

Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A solution within Access is probably the most flexible and in the end the most efficient one.
Best wishes,
Hans