Compact - Repair

D Willett
SilverLounger

Compact - Repair

Post by D Willett »

Hi.
On testing my DB over night I noticed several #Error ~Name values etc.
I know why this is, the server is restarted over night and performs maintenance, I can't intervene with this.
So can I at a certain time, say 5am compact and repair the DB which will maintain the size and refresh data to all the forms (subforms).
There is quite alot of selection over the web which discusses FE BE etc but I don't need all that. The DB runs via MS Access Runtime 2013 so opted not to look into the versions which use the VBA ribbon commands or Sendkeys.

Is there an easy VBA command which will just simply compact, repair and reopen the DB?

Kind Regards
Cheers ...

Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Compact - Repair

Post by HansV »

You cannot use VBA (or a macro) to compact the current database. You'd get the following error message:
S29.png
An external procedure (for example a scheduled task in Windows) can compact a database, but only if it is closed, not while it is open...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

D Willett
SilverLounger

Re: Compact - Repair

Post by D Willett »

Thanks Hans, I thought there would be a simple solution. However, I will revert to my previous plan, close the DB at a specific time, I can then schedule to restart once I know the server has fully loaded.

Kind Regards
Cheers ...

Dave.