Run Time Error 2501

JudyJones
StarLounger

Run Time Error 2501

Post by JudyJones »

The front end of an Access 2002 database contains a button to preview a report. If I open a copy of the front end which is located on their school server and click the button, the report opens just fine. If my user clicks the button, they get the following error: "Run Time Error 2501. The open report action was cancelled". This same person can enter data into the database but can't preview the report so it does not seem as if the problem would point to their lack of network rights. What else could cause this error for one person but not for another?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Run Time Error 2501

Post by HansV »

Has user-level security been applied to the (frontend) database?
Best wishes,
Hans

JudyJones
StarLounger

Post by JudyJones »

There is no user-level security. We control the access to the database through network security by allowing specific users to see the files in the server folder location. When a user clicks on the application object the front end of the database opens for them to use.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmm... it's hard to see how a user would have sufficient permission to edit data but not to open a report if there's no user-level security. Here's a wild guess: does this user have a default printer configured in the Printers and Fax Devices (or equivalent) control panel? If there's no default printer, Access cannot open reports set to use the default printer.
Best wishes,
Hans

JudyJones
StarLounger

Post by JudyJones »

What is so strange is that other report buttons work but this one which is supposed to ask for a parameter value before previewing the report does not. The error message comes up instead of asking for the parameter value. However, another report that asks for a parameter value works just fine. Other teachers in the same school have no problem with this report. This is the kind of problem that does not seem to have an answer. I just thought maybe someone had seen this kind of behavior that might give me a clue as to where to look.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As an experiment, you could create a copy of the frontend and remove the parameter prompt for that specific report, and see what happens if the user clicks the report button.
Best wishes,
Hans

JudyJones
StarLounger

Post by JudyJones »

I finally heard back from the user having this problem. The last time I talked with her, I suggested she try using the program on a different workstation. She reported that the program worked just fine when she used a different computer. That tells me that her problem is related to a hardware/workstation problem rather than an Access program problem. This is something the school's technical support person would need to troubleshoot.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I hope that tech support will come up with an answer... :crossfingers:
Best wishes,
Hans