Database Design.

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

Database Design.

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

I currently have a backend in MDB format with 3 different types of front end, all linked to the tables in the back end.

User level security is enabled.

Frontend 1, is installed on 150 + Pc's

FrontEnd 2, is installed on 3 Pc's

FrontEnd 3 is installed on 2 PC's

I want to change FrontEnd1, to access 2013 format (ACCDB?) - My question is do i need to change the backend as well ?

At the moment, the new ACCDB won't let me link to the tables in the main back end, because of user level security. Whats my best option here? ????
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owing at LEAST 34 beers to other helpful forum members. Especially HansV!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Database Design.

Post by HansV »

The .accdb database format doesn't support user-level security. So if you want to keep user-level security, you will have to stay with the .mdb database format for both the frontend and backend databases. Access 2013 can work with .mdb databases in Access 2000 or in Access 2002-2003 format (including user-level security). No conversion needed.

If you have a pressing need to update to the .accdb database format, you will have to remove user-level security from both the frontend and backend before converting from .mdb to .accdb.
Best wishes,
Hans