Simple Access protection

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Simple Access protection

Post by ErikJan »

Have several Access db-es. When I use these, all should be possible (wrt editing and making changes). The dbs are also available in a public location elsewhere however and there, when people open and use these files, I want them to USE the files only and prevent any changes. I'd like other users not to type passwords or do any fancy stuff. There's a lot of info on the net but I don't seem to be able to extract a simple minimal approach to do what I need. This doesn't have to be super safe but it should work for normal use.
A complicating factor is that Access 2003 is part of the versions still in use... (I know, I should change, but there are reasons why that is not obvious)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Simple Access protection

Post by HansV »

By "prevent any changes", do you mean changes to the design of the database, or do you mean changed to the data stored in the database?
Best wishes,
Hans

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

both I guess.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The easiest solution would be to make the .mdb file read-only, or place it in a folder in which end users have read-only permission. That way, users wouldn't be able to alter the design or to edit data. They could still copy the database.
Best wishes,
Hans

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

OK, thanks, we'll check that