Using ClickYes for transfers to Outlook (A2003)

DollyP
Lounger

Using ClickYes for transfers to Outlook (A2003)

Post by DollyP »

Hi

I use Express ClickYes to remove all the warnings when transferring created emails from Access to Outlook (both 2003). Its easy to forget to start it before sending (and infuriating having to click yes to every one of hundreds of emails!). I wondered whether there is a way of checking that it is running from code, or perhaps just a way of forcing it to run when needed.

I know I could make it run from startup but I'm nervous of leaving such a program running permanently in the background because it could reduce Outlooks security.

Regards
David

HansV
Administrator

Re: Using ClickYes for transfers to Outlook (A2003)

Post by HansV »

Try this code in a standard module:

Code: Select all

Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" _
  Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As Any, _
  ByVal lpWindowName As Any) As Long

Public Function IsClickYesActive() As Boolean
  Dim wnd As Long
  ' Find ClickYes Window by classname
  wnd = FindWindow("EXCLICKYES_WND", 0&)
  IsClickYesActive = Not (wnd = 0)
End Function

Sub RunClickYes()
  If Not IsClickYesActive Then
    Shell "C:\Program Files\ClickYes\ClickYes.exe"
  End If
End Sub
Use like this:

Private Sub cmdSend_Click()
  ' Start ClickYes
  Call RunClickYes
  ' Your code to send an e-mail
End Sub
This is based on Manage Express ClickYes from your own software (look for the VBA example). You may find the rest of the article useful too.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

We use ClickYes on Outlook 2003 (previously on Outlook XP/2002) on all PCs and on our Terminal Server. I put it as an HKLM...\Run entry on each PC, and in Windows Server 2008 (Terminal Server) I schedule it to run at boot time using the new 'improved' Task Scheduler 2.0.

I can't see any obvious reason why one would not run it permanently - unless you have more fundamental security problems, like having an email relay server!

It would be comparatively trivial (literally a one-liner!) in a BATch file to check on a PC if the ClickYes.exe process/task is running, and if not, to start it.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

grovelli
4StarLounger

Post by grovelli »

Hi John, what would the one-liner be?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It would be something along the lines of:

tasklist | find /i "clickyes.exe">nul && echo ClickYes already running || start "" "C:\Program Files\ClickYes\ClickYes.exe"
but check the path on your PC because I probably omitted the "\Express ClickYes" (or similar) directory when installing it...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Many thanks guys.

Hans, I used your method of checking that ClickYes is running but ran into a bit of a problem over where the ClickYes program resides. For me this is in Program Files (x86) as I use Win7 64 but for the other couple of users it may instead be in Program Files. This may be a more generic problem, but is there a way to determine where the user/install program has put the exe. (For the life of me I can't see why there are 2 program files folders - seems to overcomplicate things.)

John, I'm a bit puzzled as to whether Outlook is really more vulnerable or not when ClickYes is active. Right or wrong I've always felt it best to leave Outlook security settings well alone; after all there must be a purpose to the security warning. I'm less bothered about my own machine, which is kept clean, but there are 3 other users of the database and I have no idea whether they are security savvy. That's why I'd really like to be able to make ClickYes active only when needed.

Regards
David

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try using Environ("ProgramFiles") to get the path of the appropriate Program Files folder. On my 64-bit Windows 7 PC, this returns "C:\Program Files (x86)", and I assume it returns "C:\Program Files" on a 32-bit machine.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ClickYes is a thoroughly 32-bit program, so on a 64-bit box it will have been installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\its directory...
John Gray