Database creation issues

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Database creation issues

Post by MelanieB »

Hans!! I found you. Love the idea of the new/alternate board.

I'm stumped. Maybe I've lost my mind, but I cannot figure out how to design a database requested by a coorker. He has 5 people who visit our recreation sites daily, several times throughout the day. Each person carries Excel spreadsheet data entry forms with them and hand writes the numbers of visitors, cars, etc. at each location for each visit that day (they may visit each site 2 - 5 times a day.. could be more).

At the end of the day, all the sheets are gathered and one person manually averages the numbers for the day and enters the average number on a master sheet. Then the boss has to take each of these master daily sheets and manually enter the numbers into another spreadsheet where he can make graphs to show trends.

What he wants is a database that will store these numbers so he can run reports. He wants the data entry screen to be set up so they enter all the data for a particular date on one screen. I came up with something that looks right, but doesn't work. ha ha.. yeah.. yeah.. but anyway.. he likes it.

He wants to be able to run reports showing the number of visitors for each site daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
I'm attaching a screen shot of the data entry form they use now and my stab at making a database for him. Looks good, but I can't add new records, so yeah.. it's useless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Database creation issues

Post by HansV »

Hi Melanie,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

I'm going to stick my neck out and propose a non-normalized design that many database designers will frown upon. It does have some disadvantages, but it mimics data entry like that in Excel:
x98.png
Here is a sample database with the table structure and the forms for this layout:
Visitors.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

MelanieB
3StarLounger

Re: Database creation issues

Post by MelanieB »

Hans!! That's just what he wanted. Thank you soooo much.