Custom form not appearing in Page Setup Size List

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Custom form not appearing in Page Setup Size List

Post by Carol W. »

Access 2003:

I have a special form called Meal Ticket, size 5.75" x 8.5". I have defined Meal Ticket in the Server properties of a networked printer and am using "Use Specific Printer" in Page Setup of an Access report. The specific printer is the networked printer.

The problem: Meal Ticket does not appear in the list of available paper sizes in the "Size" dropdown box on the middle tab of Page Setup for the report.

In production, another printer is being used. It is also a networked printer and has the same Meal Ticket special form defined in its server properties. Meal Ticket does appear in the list of available paper sizes, as expected, and works perfectly on that printer.

The reason this has come up is that I am making some minor modifications to the report and am testing, on my networked printer, to make sure the alignment is correct.

Also, on the "problem" networked printer, there are many other forms defined in the server properties that do not appear in the Size dropdown list. Meal Ticket is not the only one that does not appear.

What am I missing here?

Thanks, in advance.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Custom form not appearing in Page Setup Size List

Post by HansV »

Make sure that the 8.5" fits within the printable width for your printer - if not, the custom form won't appear.

Although it's for Windows 2000, the following might help: MSKB article How to Create Custom Forms in Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 says
NOTE: On a Windows 2000 computer, ocassionally the newly created form will not appear in the drop down list under paper size. If you encounter this, you may need to select an existing form under server properties, modify the settings, check box to create a new form, change the form name and save the form. Once you save the form, it should appear in the paper size drop down box.
Best wishes,
Hans

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Re: Custom form not appearing in Page Setup Size List

Post by Carol W. »

Hans,

Thanks. I had seen that MSKB article. I tried a few things but couldn't get it to work.

However, by going into the Printer Properties (not print server properties) for the networked printer (on the server), under Paper/Quality, I was able to create a custom page size (not exactly the same as a custom form) that I called Meal Ticket Custom. This page size did appear in the page setup size dropdown list for my report.

I had to make the custom page size 5.75" x 11.5". When I made it 5.75 x 8.5, it forced the report on to a second page, probably because I was unable to force all the margins to 0, as I can with a custom form set up in the print server properties.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Carol W.