Access Security

jstevens
GoldLounger

Access Security

Post by jstevens »

I am looking for suggestions on how to secure an Access 2007 database.

I have Excel VBA code that can read/write back to the database. Through a MultiPage form a User can retrieve data or delete certain records in tables. My next step is to protect the database itself from someone changing the table structures and etc..

I would expect there to be an ADMIN, USER_VIEW and USER_WRITE security profile. The USER_VIEW and USER_WRITE would be used by the VBA code. There is quite a bit of information regarding certifications and such but I don't believe I would need to go that far.

Your suggestions are appreciated,
John
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Access Security

Post by HansV »

The .mdb database format supports user-level security even in Access 2007 and 2010. User-level security is being phased out by Microsoft though: it is not available in the new .accdb database format, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's deprecated for the .mdb format in future versions of Access.
If you still want to apply it, see Set or change Access 2003 user-level security in Access 2007.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Re: Access Security

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

I found a simpler approach where I could password protect/encrypt the database. If one were to open the database a password prompt would pop up.

The Excel VBA code can pass the password for data retrievals and deletes. I don't believe Users will need access to the DB itself as the MultiPage form should suffice.

Thanks for the link,
John
Regards,
John