Linking a picture on a form

tcarriero
NewLounger

Linking a picture on a form

Post by tcarriero »

I have a picture with multiple people on it. I'll scanned it and can make it into a pdf, jpg or tif.

I'm working on an employee database and would like to have the individuals picture on the form when we view their record. I would like to keep the size of the database down so I thought that I should link the image instead of pasting it in. I thought that there was some way to open the image and drag across the area that I would like to captured in the database but it is just not working.

Will you please tell me how to do this before I pull my hair out?

Many thanks!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Linking a picture on a form

Post by HansV »

How a picture is displayed (whether embedded or linked) is determined by its Size Mode property; this can be set to one of the following
Clip - picture is shown at its actual size; if it is larger than the image control, only the top left corner is displayed.
Stretch - picture is resized to fit the image control, distorting it if necessary.
Zoom - picture is resized to fit the image control without distorting it.
There is no provision to display a specific part of a picture.

You could cut and paste pictures of each individual to a separate file (.jpg works best for photographs) and link to that.
Best wishes,
Hans

tcarriero
NewLounger

Post by tcarriero »

Thank you Hans. I appreciate the support.
At least I can stop spinning my wheels.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

There are some improvements in image management in Access 2007 (and in 2010 that is about to be released) that may make it practical to put the images in the employee record directly without causing undue databases bloat. If you are using 2003 or prior version, then you definitely want to store a path to the photo in the employee record, and then dynamically link to the file when the record is pulled up on the form. Let us know if that doesn't make sense to you - it's a somewhat convoluted process.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

tcarriero
NewLounger

Post by tcarriero »

Thank you Wendell. I'm working in Access 2000 so I guess I'll limp along.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have attached a (zipped) sample database in Access 2000 format that shows how you can handle linked images in a form and report.
ImageDemo2K.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

Thanks Hans - I figured you had a sample for that in your toolbag! :clapping:
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Recent versions of Access have added a Control Source property for Image controls, making much of the code in the sample database posted above is superfluous.

I have attached an updated example, still in Access 2000 format, but it'll work only in Access 2007 or later.

The database also contains a small options table in which you can specify the default path for the image files.
ImageDemoNew.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans