MS Access Error 3436 in File. Failure creating File.

BenCasey
4StarLounger

MS Access Error 3436 in File. Failure creating File.

Post by BenCasey »

I started to receive "Error 3436 in File. Failure creating File" whilst using the DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport function from within Access 2010.

I saw a lot of "advice" across the net going off in all directions (eg Disk Space, corrupted DB, etc) but none that I saw mentioned the fact that Windows itself will prohibit invalid characters in the exported file name. Have a look here for some of the suggestion http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... error-3436

In my case, the tables I was exporting had table names which incorporated dates and times. These include a "\ / : *", etc.
These (and other characters) are not allowed in a Windows file name so you need to be aware of this when exporting such tables.

If you get these errors in the future, before you start looking all over your system for possible causes, you may want to step through the code and see exactly what the exported table name is. Then copy the name and try and create the file name manually and see if Windows takes exception to the name (ie, on your disk drive, r/click New. Select Text Document, Overwrite the default name with the file name you are trying to write to and see what Windows says about it).
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman

HansV
Administrator

Re: MS Access Error 3436 in File. Failure creating File.

Post by HansV »

Thanks for this tip!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: MS Access Error 3436 in File. Failure creating File.

Post by Rudi »

Thanks Ben. Good tip :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.