Access as data source for Word mmerge

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Access as data source for Word mmerge

Post by Peter Kinross »

I am trying to use an Access 2007 Db as a data source for a Word 2007 mail merge doc. Word allows me to navigate to the Db, but the query I want to use is not visible. I would guess that only about 40% of the queries in that Db are visible (They are all visible in the Dbs Object column, if that's what it is called). The query IS in the front end. The query does not contain any parameters.
What's wrong?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Access as data source for Word mmerge

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

Word 2002 and later, by default Word connects using OLE DB instead of DDE. Try this:

Quoted from Microsoft Community:
In Word, click on the Office Button and then on Word Options in the bottom border and then on the Advanced item and scroll down to the General section and check the box against the "Confirm file format conversion at open" item. Then go through the process of connecting to your data source again. After the step where you select your database, you should see an additional dialog box. If your database has a .mdb extension, select the option "MS Access databases via DDE". If your database has a .accdb extension, you will need to check "Show all" to reveal that option.
Alternatively, start from Access, open the query supplying the response required by the parameter and then go to the External Data tab of the ribbon and click on the More button in the Export section and select "Merge it with Microsoft Office Word"
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Re: Access as data source for Word mmerge

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Rudi. I had a dickens of a time doing this as the doc I was using already had a data source. Took forever to find out how to remove the data source. When I did that your Word method worked just fine.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter