Distribution of empty DB for multiuser off the line

Shiv Garuda
NewLounger

Distribution of empty DB for multiuser off the line

Post by Shiv Garuda »

Happy new year 2014.
With the help of the Lounge I succeeded in fine tuning my DBase. I am nearing the finishing line, but to touch it I need your kind help on certain points. I am to distribute the empty DB to the users. The DB is to be functioned off- line, and the users are independent. In this situation,
1. The FE and BE of myDB has been linked manually. Is it possible now to insert the link code (I also need error free code) in the DB original, and then make copies in CDs and distribute.
2. After inserting auto link code, How to switch between Test data BE and the Real data BE
3. Actually I don't have error handling code. Compile code in VB editor window returns no error message and that no error needs to be trapped. So can I proceed converting the DB in to ACCDE format and distribute without inserting error handling codes.
4. The empty DB I intend to distribute will not be requiring changes, that I can assure.Then is it possible to set pass word for BE, before distribution, so as the users can access and work only with FE and need not bother about the BE.
5. About Locking down the FE - Should it be done only after making ACCDE. And the steps for the same and their implications one should know. I have read some Texts about locking down in the Web. I need some good tips on this.
6. Digital signature - purpose and how to put it there.
As you have answered lot of my questions recently, you may well aware of my level of ability for understandings and grasping.
Please spent your valuable time a little bit to clear all my doubts. Thank you, Sir.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Distribution of empty DB for multiuser off the line

Post by Rudi »

Hi, and happy new year to you too... :)

I am no expert on this matter but before the rest of your questions can be answered, can you clarify this...:

When you say independent users do they all have access to the server where the backend will be uploaded?
If the users are independent and do not have access to a server, I would probably not split the database, but simply hide the tables, and use a switchboard to force them to navigate to the necessary objects. A backend is only really useful if you have a server and the users have access to it. If that is the case, it is important to first place the backend on the server, and then point the front end to it. Once the link to the backend is in place, the front end can be distributed. This whole process will not be useful if people do not have access to a central server.

Some more info about DB distribution at this link too...
http://office.microsoft.com/en-za/acces ... 79159.aspx
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Shiv Garuda
NewLounger

Post by Shiv Garuda »

Yes.
When you say independent users do they all have access to the server where the backend will be uploaded?
At least at present this question does not arise. Because, the users mentioned by me are miles apart, and they all doing the same works, (ie maintaining records of fleet of vehicles) But every user has their own fleet of vehicles. Therefore one user need not look over the records of vehicles maintained by the other user. Therefore, I decided to distribute the DB now I am operating, to all others so as to enable them to work in the DB independently, as I am doing now. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi mentions that it may not be necessary to split the database. Most professional Access developers are of the opinion that a commercially used database should ALWAYS be split. Access databases sometimes become corrupt. If you have only one integrated database, you'd have to restore a backup if the database becomes corrupt. In a frontend-backend setup, the frontend is much more likely to become corrupt than the backend. If the frontend becomes corrupt, simply replace it with a fresh copy from the installation CD, and everything will continue to operate as before. Also, if you ever want to release a new version of the forms, reports etc., the end users will only need to replace their copy of the frontend. The backend with all the data can remain in place.

It's a good idea, by the way, to instruct your users to make backups frequently.

1. If you have good code to relink frontend to backend, you can use that.

2. You'd have to build in code that allows the user to switch to a different backend.

3. If you don't have error handling error code, you have to make sure that there will NEVER be an error. If an unhandled error would occur, Access would crash.

4/5. If you really need to secure your database, Access may not be ideal. Users need to have full permissions (read/write/create/delete) on the folder containing the frontend and the folder containing the backend, so even if you protect your database with a password, they can still delete it. And breaking the password is not all that hard.

6. By default, Access will disable all VBA code in a database.
To enable VBA code, the end user can make the folder containing the frontend database a Trusted Location for Access.
See Create, remove, or change a trusted location for your files for Access 2007, or Add, remove, or change a trusted location for Access 2010/2013.
Alternatively, you can sign the database with a digital certificate. The end user will have to trust this certificate only once; after that all code in files signed with this certificate will be allowed.
See Show trust by adding a digital signature.
A digital certificate from a renowned publisher is usually quite expensive.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

You may have misunderstood my interpretation about splitting. Sorry for that.
Just to clarify, I believe 100% in a split database and I will always go that route as it has many beneficial advantages. Initially I was not sure what Shiv meant with independent users who are all in remote locations. In this event it would not be viable to split the DB if no one has access to a backend. If they do have access to a server, then splitting is the best way to go for sure.

Apologies for the confusion. My intentions was not to mislead.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The backend database doesn't have to be stored on a server. It can be stored locally, on the end user's hard disk. Frontend and backend can even be in the same folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:bingo:
You are right... I was so focused on the issue of data consolidation that I completely overlooked that! (Silly!!!)
I assume that somewhere down the line, the data will be collect from the BE's of the several DB copies and uploaded into a single location for further analysis...
Regards,
Rudi

Shiv Garuda
NewLounger

Post by Shiv Garuda »

I saw the latest replies of Mr. Rudi & Mr Hans
Thank you all.
On your line I stand. "The backend database doesn't have to be stored on a server. It can be stored locally, on the end user's hard disk. Frontend and backend can even be in the same folder." , and all my questions revolving around it.
So now may I expect answers for my post on this thread. Thank you Again.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What more do you expect?
Best wishes,
Hans

Shiv Garuda
NewLounger

Post by Shiv Garuda »

If it is not meant offending, I am asking you about conversion into ACCDE

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What exactly would you like to know about that. apart from the information you have already been given in this and other threads?
Best wishes,
Hans