Data Access Pages in Access 2007

Rudi
gamma jay

Data Access Pages in Access 2007

Post by Rudi »

I need help on another topic in Access - Data Access Pages?!!

This does not exist in Access 2007 anymore. My question is simply: What would simulate Data Access Pages in Access 2007. IOW - Say I relied on this feature whilst using Access 2003, how would I continue to work in Access 2007?

TX
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Data Access Pages in Access 2007

Post by Wendell »

This What happened to data access pages Microsoft document gives you their take on how to proceed.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Existing Data Access Pages in a .mdb still work in Access 2007, but you can't create, edit or import them any more.

Microsoft would like you to move to SharePoint - much of the development in Access 2010 appears to be focused on integrating Access and SharePoint.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks for that link Wendell. I see it confirms Hans's info on using Sharepoint.

I have not had much exposure to Sharepoint personally. Are you saying that Sharepoint will allow a user to design a form on the site that is linked to the database and other users can then upload records or modify records via a form in Sharepoint?

PS: In Wendells link are two interesting tips
1. One on splitting a *.mdb file and upgrading the backend to Access 2007. Then you can work with 2007 and have the *.mdb DB handle the Data Access Pages and tables that store its data. Its interesting, but a bit of a pain as you now have to maintain two DB's.
2. The second is you use the new integrated email options to collect data from other users. So of stead of uploading a data access page to the intranet, one can send a form via email to collect data.

One question on that:
Can the user re-use the form over and over again. For example: If I send the email form to my colleague, can my colleague use the form repeatedly to add more and more records to the DB (or is the form a once off option in their email inbox?)

TX
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Collect data by using e-mail messages. In the section 'Specifying additional processing options', you'll see that you can specify whether the recipients are allowed to reply multiple times:
Options.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Awesome,

In a way, this can act like a data access page (or at least an alternative), ie: giving people who do not have Access installed on their PC the ability to provide you with info to add/update the DB.

TX for that info!
Regards,
Rudi