Setting Default Properties for Controls in Access 2010

Mark L
3StarLounger

Setting Default Properties for Controls in Access 2010

Post by Mark L »

Does anyone know how to set the default properties for controls that are being added to a form in Access 2010? I can do it in 2003 & 2007, but can't find it in 2010! As usual, Access 2010 help is worthless.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Setting Default Properties for Controls in Access 2010

Post by HansV »

It's still the same as in previous versions:
- Open or create a form in design view.
- Click on a control in the Controls group of the Design tab of the ribbon, but don't insert it on the form yet.
- Activate the Property Sheet - it will say "Selection type: Default <controltype>".
- Set properties as desired.
Similar for a report.
Best wishes,
Hans

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

There used to be a way where you could select an existing control and then makes its properties the Defaults.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL
see my website http://www.liquorman.net for Access Tips and Tricks, and for my Liquorman Utilities.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you perhaps mean the Form template and Report template options? You can set these to the name of an existing form/report.
S0070.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Mark L
3StarLounger

Post by Mark L »

In Access 2003, you could select a control (in design mode) and then at Menu Bar at top of screen you would select Format|Set Control Defaults.
Mark Liquorman
Land O Lakes, FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't remember that, but anyhow, I don't know about an equivalent in Access 2010, sorry! Let us know if you find something.
Best wishes,
Hans

Larad
NewLounger

Post by Larad »

In Form design view, there is a Format Painter on the Clipboard panel of the Home ribbon. It's not quite as useful as setting the default format for a control, but it's still a time saver.

As in other MS Windows applications, 1) you select the control whose format you want to copy, 2) then click on the Format Painter, 3) then click on the control whose format you want to change.

Painting the format this way does not change the size of the control selected in step 3, which is a pest. But it's still better than stepping through the format properties.

There must be a way of setting the default properties of a control. If I can find it, I'll update this.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Yes, the Format Painter can be very handy indeed. Together with the Size/Space and Align dropdowns on the Arrange tab of the ribbon, it's a powerful tool to make the design of a form or report consistent.
Best wishes,
Hans