SSRS - resizing

garbsmj
4StarLounger

SSRS - resizing

Post by garbsmj »

Maybe this is more of a rant rather than a question, but I am getting eye strain over this one report where I have to resize over and over again, one cell at a time, to try to fit it on a stupid 8x11 page. I looked up on the ever-so-unhelpful MS page and although I get the concept of increasing and decreasing, it's the font changing. I wish I could just select the whole row and change the font on every field, then squish the columns.

Am I asking for too much? :scratch:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Re: SSRS - resizing

Post by HansV »

For others reading this thread: SSRS = SQL Server Reporting Services.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

garbsmj wrote:...Am I asking for too much? :scratch:
What version of SQL Server are you using? 2008 made some significant improvements over 2005, and Release 2 is supposed to contain further improvements in SSRS. But franly Access still is the easiest to do reports in - so I use it virtually all of the time. Of course it helps that we already have the ODBC connections to the tables there and a nice menuing system...
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Wendell!

Good to see your typing! I'm at a new company and we're using SQL2008. I think this is the problem....

1. I'm working on a remote machine. Sometimes I'll have to copy/paste about 5 times before it goes, oh, you wanted to copy and paste, eh? and suddenly do it.

2. The resizing should work, but I was having such problems moving the arrow up and down and then got the brilliant idea of editing cell a and then copy/pasting across. Once #1 worked above, then I was able to slowly move the arrow to where I wanted it.

3. They really don't want to use Access although the latest version is available. It's just a connection nightmare between the disparate systems that I find easier to handle with SQL2008 and Business Integration Data Services (BIDS) so that everybody can shake hands and play nice.

While SQL2008 is a big improvement over SQL2005, it still isn't Access 2.0 and never will be. But then I loved Windows 3.1 to death. So what do I know?
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

I work remotely most of the time these days on systems from coast to coast, and various versions of Office and SQL Server. It seems SQL Server doesn't like the copy/paste stuff for some reason, and I understand your frustration. Yet in Access it seems to work flawlessly - even when I copy down from a server to my workstation using RDP. It's a puzzle as to what the reason for that is - and I mostly use the Management Studio and don't deal with BIDS so I haven't had to bang my head on that side of things as my clients are small offices. (And I still secretly long for Access 97... :love: )
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!